The press release was translated into French, Spanish and Indonesian, and is available on the CIFOR website at: http://www.cifor.cgiar.org/mediamultimedia/newsroom/press-releases/press-releases-detail-view/article/238/new-global-study-shows-high-reliance-on-forests-among-rural-poor.html
The following articles were published based on the press release or from journalists who attended the conference; listed in chronological order:
- Nature News, 15 June 2011
Misconceptions about forest-dwellers overturned: Study rejects claims that poor residents cause most deforestation.
By Natasha GilbertReproduced in the following outlets:* CIFOR Today, 17 June 2011
* American Scientist, 17 June 2011
* People and Forests E-news, RECOFTC, July 2011
* FAO’s NWFP-Digest-L, No. 9/11, 12 July 2011
- Scientific American, 16 June 2011
Richer Households More Likely to Contribute to Deforestation
- Africa Science News Service, 16 June 2011
Study shows high reliance on forests among rural poor
- Forest Carbon Portal, 16 June 2011
New global study shows high reliance on forests among rural poor
- mongabay.com, 16 June 2011
Poverty doesn’t drive deforestation, argues new survey
- The Ecologist, 16 June 2011
Warning over REDD projects excluding rural poor from forests
Reproduced in the following outlets:* ‘Climate Connections‘ website, 11 July.
* ‘Mobilization for Climate Justice‘ website, 11 July 11.
- Ecoticias.com (Spanish website), 17 June 2011
Global study demonstrates that poor rural populations depends highly on forests (Estudio global demuestra que poblaciones rurales pobres dependen en gran medida de los bosques)
- CIFOR Forests Blog. For richer or for poorer: “Hidden” environmental income critical for rural poverty alleviation, 21 June 2011
Written by James Maiden
- CIFOR News, 30 June 2011
Does the pressure for impact compromise research?
- BioSoc: the Biodiversity and Society Bulletin – Research highlights on biodiversity and society, poverty and conservation, 1 July 2011
(E-newsletter sent to subscribers)
Counting on the Environment: The Contribution of Forests to Rural Livelihoods. Written by Alessandra Giuliani (email@example.com )
- CIFOR Forests Blog. Measuring the links between poverty and the environment: An interview with CIFOR scientist Sven Wunder, 10 July 2011. Written by: James Maiden
Reproduced in the following outlets:
* Humanitarian News, 10 July 2011.
- CIFOR Forests Blog. Are you a hunter or gatherer? Understanding how men and women use the forest. 11 July 2011. Written by James Maiden
- CIFOR Forests Blog. Will REDD+ marginalize the poor? Forest dwellers may not benefit from strong tenure systems. 13 July 2011.Written by James Maiden, video interview with Pamela Jagger
- CIFOR Forests Blog. Wealthy households driving deforestation, says new study. 18 July 2011.Written by James Maiden, video interview with Ronnie Babigumira