- Deforestation and forest degradation are complex problems with many connected social, economic and environmental challenges. Reversing deforestation can only be addressed through sustainable land-use management and improved social cohesion.
- REDD+ provides incentives to developing countries to reduce emissions from deforestation and forest degradation.
- Improved efforts are needed to boost confidence in carbon markets as potential sources of finance in Indonesia.
- Multi-level governance and private sector involvement are crucial to success in DRC.
- Vietnam aims to expand REDD+ to mangrove and wetland environmental services.
- Peru reduces deforestation and now includes peatlands in its REDD+ focus.
- Brazil needs a high-level commitment to REDD+ and a major reduction in deforestation in order to meet its climate goals.
Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR)