Focal Point: Denis Sonwa and Lou Verchot
Contact details: CIFOR, Central Africa Regional Office, P.O. Box: 2008, Yaoundé, Cameroon; Tel: +237 22 22 74 51 / 22 22 74 49; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
CIFOR, through the GCS component/Module 3, initiated several countries profiles (Bolivia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Brazil, Peru, and Cameroon) to understand the context in which the MRV-REDD+ system differs between each country. These studies allowed CIFOR to understand the national context in which the MRV-REDD+ system will be settled in tropical forest countries. The comparisons will allow CIFOR to draw lessons on MRV capacities.
The MRV countries profile of Cameroon was developed with ONFI (Office National de Forêt International) in 2010. The launching of the profile will provide an opportunity to present the findings to participants, who will be able to field questions to one of the consultants involved in the research.
Understanding the process can help stakeholders in the region to appreciate some of the challenges associated with the development and functioning of MRV at the national level. It can also offer a possibility on how to carry out such capacity assessment on a regular basis in Cameroon or in the region.
Key questions the panel will address
- What are the current and future drivers of deforestation and degradation in Cameroon?
- What is the linkage between current development objectives of the country, and future degradation and deforestation in Cameroon?
- What are the institutional aspects governing MRV activities in Cameroon?
- Moderator: Denis Sonwa, Scientist CIFOR (or another person To Be Confirmed)
- Main presenter: Pascal Cuny (ONFI) brief presentation on the country profile
- Open discussion: chaired by a Moderator
- Cuny P, ML Crom and A Giraud. 2011. Elaboration d’un profil pays Pour la mesure et le suivi du carbone forestier: Cameroun. Bogor, Indonesia: CIFOR. http://www.cifor.org/online-library/browse/view-publication/publication/4095.html
- Wunder S. 2008. How do we deal with leakage? In: Angelsen A. (ed.) Moving ahead with REDD: issues, options and implications. Bogor, Indonesia: CIFOR.
- Herold M. 2009. An assessment of national forest monitoring capabilities in tropical non-Annex I countries: recommendations for capacity building. Report for the Prince’s Rainforests Project and the Government of Norway. Jena, Germany: Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena and Global Observation of Forest and Land Cover Dynamics Land Cover Project Office.
- Herold M and M Skutsch. 2009. Measurement, reporting and verification for REDD+: objectives, capacities and institutions.In: Angelsen A, M Brockhaus, M Kanninen, E Sills, WD Sunderlin, and S Wertz-Kanounnikoff. (eds). Realising REDD+: national strategy and policy options. Bogor, Indonesia: CIFOR. 85–100.
- Herold M and M Skutsch. 2011. Monitoring, reporting and verification for national REDD + programmes: two proposals.Environmental Research Letters 6(1):014002.