DRC is committed to reduce its emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD+) within the framework of the UNFCCC. As such, the country has completed some of the stages of the process aiming at earning monetary and non-monetary benefits for effort in defining, implementing and monitoring a set of policies and programs to tackle direct and indirect drivers of deforestation and forest degradation. The DRC has completed a national REDD+ framework strategy in 2012. As the main output of the readiness phase, the national REDD+ strategy provides guidelines for the implementation and result-based payment phases, to lead to a real, measurable and long-term benefit strategy that is integrated and coherent with other national development strategies.
This Knowledge sharing event falls within the framework of the Module 1 that focusses on effective, efficient and equitable REDD+ policies, and measure them at the national level, assesses REDD+ policy architecture such as the benefit sharing mechanisms and Safeguard Information systems.
CIFOR has completed many studies regarding REDD+ in DRC. These include, the analysis of the media discourse on REDD+, the Context of REDD+, and a Policy Network analysis of the REDD+ policy domain in the country.
The overall objectives of this knowledge sharing event in Kinshasa are the following:
- to present the results of the studies carried out by CIFOR
- to make a participative assessment of the various indicators relating to the deforestation and forest degradation context, the REDD+ policy design, and the impacts of REDD+ policies and measures.
- to discuss with participants and draw lessons from the past experiences to nurture the forthcoming actions in terms of research opportunities, capacity building, advocacy, etc., in DRC.
- CIFOR and Global Comparative study on REDD+, presented by Pham Thu Thuy (CIFOR)
- Multilevel governance and the challenges of realizing REDD+, presented by Félicien Kengoum (CIFOR)
- Atelier de partage d’experience sur les politiques REDD+/CIFOR, presented by Ministere de L’environnement et Developpement Durable Coordination Nationale REDD
- Policy Network Analysis on REDD+, presented by Bimo Dwi Satrio, Moira Moeliono, Deandra Atmojo, Muhammad Ichsan (CIFOR)
- Les discours de la REDD+ dans les media, presented by Félicien Kengoum (CIFOR)
- Les réseaux d’acteurs de la REDD+ en RDC, presented by CIFOR
- Les fonctions des acteurs non étatiques dans la REDD+, presented by Prof. Félicien KABAMBA
- La déforestation et la dégradation forestière en RDC : causes, dynamiques et réponses, presented by Francois KAYEMBE (DIAF)
- Situation actuelle de la Foresterie Communautaire en RDC, presented by Fifi LIKUNDE MBOYO (Chef de Division de la Foresterie Communautaire)