The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
The Cartographic Consultant will design and produce maps, illustrations and graphics for various research activities and projects within CIFOR. The consultant will take on short-term product-based assignments to produce international-quality maps. Tasks will be assigned to assist the GIS Manager during high-volume periods in order to accommodate and support technical GIS requests.
The Cartographic Consultant will work under the supervision of the GIS Manager.
Duties and responsibilities
- Use Geographical Information Systems (GIS) to capture and analyze landscape features;
- Design, produce and control the quality of maps, illustrations and graphics for various project and technical reports;
- Revise and update existing maps, atlases and other geographical information.
Education, knowledge and experience
• A bachelor’s degree in forestry, geography, ecology or environmental studies;
• At least 3 years of relevant GIS software & technology work experience in developing and conducting spatial analysis;
• Strong practical and technical experience in using and developing Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is essential, specifically in ESRI products such as ArcView and/or ArcInfo, CartoDB, Mapbox, and OpenStreetMap;
• Prior experience in developing maps for various projects, and working closely with various scientists from different countries in international environmental work areas;
• Good interpersonal and communication skills;
• Excellent written and spoken English and Bahasa Indonesia;
• Experience with a range of relevant technologies: digitizing equipment; internet services and related technologies.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Ability to interact with high-level individuals across a range of organizations; customer-orientation and sound judgment; ability to demonstrate a consistent professional manner in dealing with individuals at all levels, both internally and externally to the organization;
• Keen attention to detail and data accuracy;
• Ability to work as a team player and be flexible as tasks and priorities shift; ability to self-start and troubleshoot without supervision; ability to work independently and in teams in a small office environment; demonstrated ability to excel in a multicultural environment, keen learner
Terms and Conditions
• This is a part-time consultancy position.
• The appointment will be for a period of 6 months, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
• This a home-based position, so Bogor, Indonesia-based applicants preferable.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 22 Nov-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.