The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
For almost a decade, CIFOR has led a research portfolio on the roles of wetlands (peatlands and mangroves) in climate change adaptation and mitigation. CIFOR’s leading role and global partnerships on these matters has been widely recognized and continues to be challenging. In the context of Nature-Based Solutions to climate change, research on wetlands has been identified as necessary to help generate new knowledge leading to transformative change. The impact pathway is obvious, therefore a scientist position focused on wetlands is key for CIFOR.
Duties and responsibilities
- Supports the generation of knowledge on the sustainable management of tropical wetlands and blue carbon for development and climate mitigation and adaptation;
- Coordinates and supervises research assistants and consultants working on these topics.
- Conducts training for practitioners, government officials and civil society;
- Organizes science-policy workshops to bridge gaps and improve dialogues on relevant subjects.
- Publishes scientific papers and communicates with the scientific community;
- Uses multi-media and social media for outreach to the general public;
- Participates in national and global events related to land-use change and forestry activities, wetlands/blue carbon and climate change;
- Works with CIFOR’s communications team to support media by informing new knowledge and improving capacity.
- Engages in fundraising for CIFOR’s research area of tropical wetlands and blue carbon;
- Works with other scientists and research development and partnership specialists to prepare joint proposals.
Education, knowledge and experience
• PhD degree in ecology, environmental science, and preferably wetland science;
• Extensive experience working with an international research organization in related topics, with demonstrated capabilities in conducting fieldwork in developing countries;
• A good understanding of United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) processes and how to interact with countries or parties to the convention;
• Experience to engage with the scientific community in general and those with a similar field in particular;
• Experience of involvement in the body of works dealing with peatlands and Blue Carbon would be beneficial to help improve the visibility and credibility of CIFOR in these areas;
• Capacity and proven skills in publishing scientific work in peer-reviewed journals and other scientific media is very important in order to contribute to new science generated from CIFOR’s research agenda;
• Experience in proposal development/writing and fundraising;
• Fluent written and spoken English.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Highly organized and efficient;
• Knowledge of project management and process lifecycles;
• Initiative and ability to work independently as well as being an effective team player;
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to interact effectively with people in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment;
• Excellent facilitation skills.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in USD, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of 2 years, inclusive of a 9-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Nov-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.