The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer
CIFOR is committed to both strengthening and credibly evidencing the translation of its research, engagement and capacity strengthening efforts into tangible development outcomes and demonstrating a contribution to CGIAR’s Strategic Results Framework (SRF) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). CIFOR’s internal Research to Impact (RTI) team is responsible for developing and implementing appropriate methodologies to deliver on this objective.
In support of this objective, CIFOR is systematically integrating outcome-oriented planning and monitoring into CIFOR’s bilaterally funded and flagship research projects. The RTI team is seeking an appropriately skilled Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer to support the RTI Team Leader in integrating outcome-focused monitoring and learning into CIFOR’s research portfolio.
The position of Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer will support the implementation of CIFOR’s Planning, Monitoring and Learning strategy with a focus on implementing systematic monitoring systems at project and portfolio levels. The Officer will work closely with the Research to Impact Team Leader and Impact Assessment Specialist to design and implement monitoring frameworks, analyze the outputs of these systems (including data) and support the development and communication of lessons learned products internally and externally.
Duties and responsibilities
- Support the CIFOR RTI team to refine and implement a suite of monitoring tools.
- Support research project teams to collect and manage required monitoring information, including data from the field.
- Conduct and assist in the design of qualitative and quantitative surveys using Open Data Kit (ODK).
- Undertake qualitative and quantitative data analysis (using STATA, R, Excel, NVivo).
- Support information synthesis across CIFOR’s monitoring and evaluation work to support institutional learning.
- Support Theory of Change planning processes at project inception or in preparation for project evaluation.
- Undertake literature reviews to investigate common project assumptions in CIFOR’s Theories of Change.
- Maintain CIFOR and FTA monitoring data information systems and support CGIAR annual outcome and impact reporting.
- Support additional RTI team institutional tasks as required.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s degree in development studies, social sciences or economics
• minimum 5 years’ experience working with bilateral and international overseas development assistance-funded projects
• statistical analysis and narrative report writing skills
• experience designing, organizing and conducting fieldwork using structured (quantitative) and semistructured (qualitative) interview techniques
• excellent spoken and written English
• knowledge of Theory of Change as a monitoring tool, and experience in developing project and programmatic Theories of Change
• experience developing monitoring frameworks for multiyear development programs and conducting longitudinal evaluations preferable.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• good personal organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks
• capable of working independently as well as being an effective team player, with initiative and creativity
• good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
• values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a local position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in IDR, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment is for 2 years, inclusive of a 6-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 01 Sep-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.