The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Global Landscapes Forum Social Media Coordinator
GLF is seeking a Social Media Coordinator to join our team. As Social Media Officer, you will play a key role in the implementation of GLF’s global social media strategy and media outreach efforts, increasing our online presence and improving our marketing and engagement efforts. You will be working closely with high performing teams in GLF digital, editorial and outreach. The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) is the world’s largest knowledge-led platform on integrated land use, dedicated to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and Paris Climate Agreement. The Forum takes a holistic approach to create sustainable landscapes that are productive, prosperous, equitable and resilient and considers five cohesive themes of food and livelihood initiatives, landscape restoration, rights, finance and measuring progress. It is led by the Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR), in collaboration with its co-founders UN Environment and the World Bank and Charter Members.
Charter members: CIRAD, CIFOR, Climate Focus, Conservation International, Ecoagriculture Partners, The European Forest Institute, Evergreen Agriculture, FSC, GEF, IPMG, CIAT, ICIMOD, IFOAM – Organics International, INBAR, IUFRO, Rainforest Alliance, Rare, Rights and Resources Initiative, UN Environment, Wageningen Centre for Development Innovation part of Wageningen Research, World Agroforestry, World Resources Institute, WWF Germany, Youth in Landscapes Initiative (YIL), World Bank Group
BE A PART OF A GLOBAL MOVEMENT. BE A PART OF THE GLF.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop, implement and manage a global strategy for GLF’s social media channels, coordinating closely with social media teams in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- Define social media KPIs, measure and regularly report on progress towards goals.
- Communicate with industry professionals and influencers to build and manage a strong social media network.
- Monitor and analyze trends, practices and networks across media and social media to identify opportunities for strengthened engagement with boundary partners.
- Plan, implement and report on paid marketing activities.
- Provide training on social media to other members of GLF and youth volunteers.
- Perform other tasks related to social media and events as required by GLF management.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Bachelor’s degree in digital or social media marketing, journalism, communications, international relations) or in other related fields. Master’s degree preferred, but not required.
• At least five (5) years of work experience in social media, digital communications or journalism.
• Proven expertise in managing Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and other social media business pages.
• Demonstrated knowledge in growing global social media reach and increasing social media engagement.
• Experience with audience and buyer persona research.
• Demonstrated familiarity with story development.
• Demonstrated ability to define key performance indicators and analyze web traffic metrics.
• Demonstrated familiarity with social listening tools for analysis and monitoring.
• Knowledge and passion for sustainability, environment and/or science communications.
• Experience in working in international development or environmental policy is an asset.
• Flawless English speaker, other languages (especially French, Spanish, Indonesian, German) are an advantage.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Ability to work on multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
• Excellent organizational, time management and planning skills.
• Demonstrated experience coordinating and collaborating with a diverse team
• Capacity to work both independently and as part of a multi-city, remote team.
• Ability to stay on top of the latest digital marketing trends.
• Excellent interpersonal communications and relationship-building skills, to effectively work with a variety of people and personalities, members of the media, team members, donors, partners.
• Motivation to learn and work in an entrepreneurial start-up environment.
• Desire and ability to think critically and solve problems effectively.
• Ability to meet deadlines.
• Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities.
• Self-motivated, deadline oriented, resourceful and energetic.
• Able to find creative solutions.
• Able to develop and implement strategic and tactical plans.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a full-time consultancy position.
• CIFOR’s employment conditions follow local labor laws and regulations. CIFOR will employ suitable candidates regardless of nationality, provided that he/she complies with the local requirements for working at the posting location. Being a citizen of an EU country is preferred.
• Period of the consultancy is expected to be August 2019 – June 2020.
• The duty station will be in Bonn, Germany
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Jul-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.