The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Communications is one of the most effective channels for CIFOR to disseminate its research. It plays an important role in creating uptake pathways and raising awareness of CIFOR’s impact-oriented research and events. The communications consultant’s support will help to get the most out of CIFOR communications.
Communications consultant will work within the Marketing Unit; primary responsibilities are to provide assistance to manage information and facilitate internal operations within the Marketing Unit, such as assisting the Communications Officer with audience development and institutional messaging through social media, events and media relations.
Duties and responsibilities
- general marketing and communications support
- growing CIFOR-Indonesia’s online social networks by increasing the user base and interactions
- updating CIFOR-Indonesia’s Kabar Hutan, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts
- responding to posts or comments to bring value to users’ interactions with CIFOR-Indonesia
- researching articles, stories, resources or other content that are relevant to CIFOR-Indonesia and posting content to each Facebook, Twitter and Instagram page in a manner that invites conversation and interaction, such as by communicating with social media influencers to create a strong and beneficial network
- creating and publishing relevant, original, high-quality content directed by the Communications Officer, including working with designers to ensure the content is appealing and informative
- using analytics to assess trends and activity on the CIFOR-Indonesia and Kabar Hutan sites
- reviewing data on the performance of social media platforms and compiling comprehensive data analytics as reports and references for strategy in the following month
- collaborating with the Web Team and assisting the Web Team Leader to use marketing tools (Google ads) such as Buffer as well as creating and managing monthly promotions, especially for Kabar Hutan, to increase the number of visits and page views
- supporting events planning, including gathering materials for conferences and making travel arrangements
- supporting media relations engagements
- updating media monitoring
- completing other marketing projects as assigned.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Bachelor’s degree in communications or forestry or a related field
• background in communications and forestry knowledge management preferred
• good knowledge of environment- and forest-related fields desirable
• one to two years of experience working in communications for a nonprofit, for-profit or government agency, or related professional experience
• experience in the strategic and innovative use of communications for nonprofit or international organizations
• experience with communications and social media
• experience with social media tools for analysis and monitoring such as use of social media dashboards/management tools and social/web analytics software
• experience in writing and editing high-quality and accessible English-language science communications materials
• experience with creative design and visual communications is a plus
• fluency in formal and idiomatic English
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
• ability to work well in team environments
• strong client service approach
• resourceful, adaptable and self-directed
Terms and Conditions
• This is a full-time consultancy position.
• The period of the consultancy is expected to be May 2019 – April 2020.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Apr-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.