The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) is a partnership initiative led by CIFOR through its GLF Team. The team will be located mainly in a new CIFOR office in Bonn, Germany. The GLF Team is responsible for delivery on all GLF activities, and for expanding the GLF partnership and community. The GLF is organized in three work areas led by the Community of Landscapes Leader, GLF Executive Producer, and Chief of Knowledge, respectively.
The GLF platform connects diverse stakeholders; provides learning opportunities; gathers and shares knowledge; and accelerates action to produce positive, sustainable impact.
Landscape approaches embrace compromise amongst competing social, environmental, political and economic demands to produce multiple benefits from limited resources. The GLF utilizes this approach around five broad themes: Restoration; Financing; Rights; Measuring Progress; and Food and Livelihoods. The science-led forum convenes diverse stakeholders – civil society, the private sector, policy makers, community members, farmers, indigenous groups, international organizations and more – to share knowledge and best practice to produce collaborative contributions to achieving the 2030 Agenda.
GLF’s web unit is anticipating a higher workload as we continually expand our digital platforms. We seek a web user interface designer on a part-time consultancy basis to help with the development process. The main duty will be to build visual design in various formats that will be used in developing webpages and for other purposes, such as a newsletter and infographics.
The consultant will provide website and design recommendations for GLF in these areas:
– Continue enhancing the Global Landscapes Forum websites including the following elements:
o event sites
o news site (Landscapes News)
o main site.
– Build discussion forum and learning platform tools/sites.
– Contribute expertise and creative solutions to enhance the GLF digital experience.
Duties and responsibilities
- enhancing the digital experience by following design guidelines
- developing necessary WordPress back-end support for web update systems
- implementing plugin and customization when necessary
- implementing or creating widgets
- ensuring the website is running within an optimal coding environment.
Education, knowledge and experience
• university degree in a related discipline
• a minimum of 3 years’ experience as a web developer in a fast-paced environment
• experience in website development, with programming experience developing online applications/web-based applications
• experience using WordPress
• competence in MySQL and database programming
• proficient in Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) implementation.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and to take the initiative, demonstrate innovation and exercise good judgment
• competency in personal organization, prioritization and accuracy, with the ability to work effectively under time pressures and manage multiple tasks
• good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment and to be an effective team player
• creative and flexible when responding to changing requirements.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a full-time consultancy position.
• The period of the consultancy is expected to be December 2018 – November 2019.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
• The duty station will be in Bogor, Indonesia.
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 03 Nov-2018
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.