The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Communication Officer for Central Africa
The Communications Officer for Central Africa will be responsible for the implementation of CIFOR’s communication and knowledge-sharing program in the Congo Basin. He will work closely with CIFOR scientists in its regional office in Yaoundé, Cameroon, to create uptake pathways for research findings, with the goal of maximizing outcomes and impact for specific research projects to target stakeholders including government officials, the private sector, civil society, donors, media and the research community.
The Communications Officer will collaborate with CIFOR’s communication teams globally, especially those based at its headquarters in Indonesia. This nationally recruited position will require travel across Central Africa and elsewhere globally.
Objectives of the assignment:
1. Implementing CIFOR’s communications strategy for Central Africa;
2. Working closely with CIFOR’s communications units. This comprises of a large Outreach team in Asia and Latin America, as well as elsewhere in Africa; an Editorial and Multimedia unit, which overseas CIFOR’s many web platforms and publications; and a Data and Information group, which coordinates data-sharing and CIFOR’s publication repository;
3. Enhancing relationships with media in Central Africa and be the focal point for all queries from journalists;
4. Managing French social media for CIFOR and the Global Landscapes Forum (GLF);
5. Drafting and editing press releases, talking points, op-eds, blog stories, multimedia packages and corporate communication documents in English and in French;
6. Building communication plans and budgets into research proposals and projects;
7. Taking the lead in organizing conferences and workshops in Central Africa.
Duties and responsibilities
Visibility of CIFOR activities and presence in the region. This entails:
- organize workshops and conferences to showcase CIFOR activities
- disseminate CIFOR products using adequate and targeted outlets
- update CIFOR-Forêts social media
- review and update communications strategy for internal and external communications
- write press releases, organize press conferences and conduct interviews
- oversee the development of all types of communication products – traditional, social media and outreach activities
- organize and facilitate training sessions to improve and increase media and communication skills and capacity of regional office program officers
- build the capacity of local, national, and regional media practitioners through mentoring projects, workshops and seminars to disseminate CIFOR's research results
- identify and develop story lines for publications and substantive articles that contribute to debates on forestry issues
- organise national, regional or international events to showcase CIFOR's Central Africa research results
- prepare content for CIFOR website ensuring consistency of the materials
- keep an up to date mapping of media and contacts of journalists in the region
- conceive and adapt outreach material to regional needs
- maintain a permanent relationship with media organizations to disseminate CIFOR activities
- prepare talking points for the hub leader and other senior staff
- develop and produce radio programs
- develop material for use in media briefings and producing other communication materials on CIFOR activities
- write of features and conceive key messages to promote the visibility, achievement and success stories
- ensure the correct use of CIFOR branding on publications and other products
- maintain a continuous flow of information with government and external research partners
- create, promote and contribute to campaigns for local, regional and international media that position CIFOR and influence sustainable management of the forest
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s degree in journalism, communications, or a related discipline;
• At least five (5) years’ experience in communications and/or journalism;
• Experience developing and implementing communication strategies;
• Experience producing radio programs;
• Social communication skills-twitter and Facebook;
• Experience in event coordination is an advantage;
• Knowledge of Central African communication networks;
• Fully bilingual in English and French is essential.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Strong client service approach
• Ability to manage own time to deliver assignments on deadline
Terms and Conditions
• This is a consultancy position;
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience;
• This assignment will last for a period of one year;
• Duty station will be in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
To apply, please visit our career site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at
Application processThe application deadline is 20 Dec-2017
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.