The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Gender Post-Doctoral Fellow – Globalized trade and investments
CIFOR is seeking a qualified, committed and collaborative post-doctoral fellow to undertake research on gender and agribusiness expansion in tropical countries. The successful candidate will document the mediating factors that affect rural women and men in the process of agribusiness expansion, and assess how different outcomes can be realized under smallholder-inclusive investment models. The post-doctoral fellow will be a part of the CGIAR Research Consortium on Forest, Trees and Agroforestry (CRP FTA) Flagship 5 on “Global Trade and Investments”, and work closely with researchers at CRP Policy Institutions and Markets (PIM) and CRP Water Land and Ecosystems (WLE), focusing on the gender differentiated impacts of large-scale land and water acquisition.
Duties and responsibilities
• Carrying out a review of literature on gender and agribusiness expansion; assessing whether and how different policy responses (such as responsible investments policies, regulatory safeguards and codes of conduct – among others) take into account gender issues linked to commercial commodity investments
• Designing a detailed research protocol to conduct primary research on policy process and local level impacts; analyzing primary and secondary data
• Developing a strategy for engaging with both research and boundary partners, and informing key government and donor strategies on agribusiness expansion
• Authoring reports, working papers, briefing notes peer-reviewed journal articles addressing the knowledge gap on gender-differentiated outcomes and gender inclusive investment models
• Responding to relevant call for proposals, and providing support fundraising efforts
• Disseminating knowledge products to relevant policy actors and monitoring their impacts.
Education, knowledge and experience
• A PhD in a gender related issues in any of the following disciplines: development studies, economics, sociology, anthropology and other relevant disciplines. A solid foundation in political economy or political ecology
• A minimum of two years, hands-on experience with gender and natural resource management, forestry, environmental management required
• Sound command of qualitative and quantitative research methods applied to developing country contexts
• Experience in developing and facilitating training, workshops and/or events (with a gender theme preferred)
• Excellent skills in synthesis and review
• Fluency in spoken and written English at a professional level. A second language preferred (such as French, Swahili, Portuguese, Bahasa Indonesia)
• Proven ability to work collaboratively in cross- cultural contexts with researchers, policymakers, donors, and civil society
• Emerging international, peer-reviewed publications record
• Experience in proposal development/writing required and fundraising preferred.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Excellent facilitation skills
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and complete tasks with an attention to detail
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills
• Values the sharing of information in a collaborative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning
• Willingness to travel as required.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a Post-Doctoral Fellow position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience
• The appointment will be for a period of two years, inclusive nine-month probationary period, with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources. Maximum assignment of Post-Doctoral Fellow is four years.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR Headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia or CIFOR Hub in Nairobi, Kenya.
Application processThe application deadline is 05 Oct-2015
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.