The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Resource Development Grant Writer and Coordinator
The Resource Development Writer is responsible for the coordination and development of high quality, highly competitive concept notes and proposals that are compelling to CIFOR's top existing and prospective funders. S/he is responsible for supporting the full editorial process on key grant writing projects and the management of CIFOR's concept note and proposals tracking system. Under the direction of the Resource Development and Partnerships Manager, the Grant Writer and Coordinator will work closely with CIFOR programs and Hub Office teams globally to support major institutional efforts. The Grant Writer and Coordinator will use strong, specialized writing skills and knowledge of funder priorities and interests to support the writing and editing of major concept notes and proposals for CIFOR's funders and prospects, including bi/multi-lateral funders and foundations. The job is a new position at CIFOR intended to strengthen the capacity of the Center's Resource Development efforts, with the Writer spearheading efforts to improve proposal-writing capacity within CIFOR center-wide.
Duties and responsibilities
• Improved development and delivery of high quality and compelling concept notes and proposals to funders. Performance will be measured against the number of successful proposals developed and grants approved.
• Improved proposal-writing capacity within CIFOR center-wide, measured by the quality of drafts produced by science teams and an increase in overall number of concept notes and proposals in the pipeline.
• Provide writing and editing support for major fundraising concept notes and proposals (high- dollar and/or to high-potential prospects).
• Provide writing and editing support for institutional fundraising efforts, particularly for strategic proposals and institutional documents for top CIFOR funders.
• Work closely with Resource Development Unit to manage and monitor CIFOR's grant application tracking system that ensures adequate fundraising and programmatic alignment for all CIFOR priorities.
• Provide broad writing and editorial assistance to the Resource Development Unit and other duties as assigned.
• Maintain and improve the ability of the Center's Resource Development and Funding Toolkit to improve the design and development of new grant applications.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Bachelor's degree in Political Science, International Relations, Business and Administration, Environmental Sciences, Agricultural Development Studies or in a field related to CIFOR's mission.
• At least 5-7 years' experience in fundraising, with an emphasis on writing and editing fundraising proposals and communications to funders.
• Complete English proficiency, other languages desirable – particularly French and Spanish.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Advanced writing and editing skills and excellent time management skills are essential for the success of this position.
• Ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously and work with interdisciplinary teams.
• An expert ability to translate complex and technical subject matter for a variety of funder.
• Ability to stay organized, maintains attention to detail, builds social capital, and execute assignments on time and with quality.
• A demonstrated understanding of environment and/or development issues is preferred.
Terms and Conditions
• This is Internationally-Recruited staff position. Competitive remuneration in US Dollar commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of one year, inclusive six month probationary period, with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position, and available resources.
• CIFOR offers flexibility in the duty station. The incumbent may be based in Bogor, Indonesia where CIFOR Headquarters are located, or in Rome, Italy where CIFOR is hosted in a partner organization's office. The position will need to multitask and be comfortable working in a fast-paced, sometimes unpredictable work environment. This position may also be required to work irregular and extended work hours to meet deadlines and work with staff in other time zones.
Application processThe application deadline is 20 Sep-2015.
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.