The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Already known for its innovation, ambition and reach, CIFOR’s communications program is looking to recruit a world-class science editor/writer to lead its small but highly motivated editorial team that produces cutting-edge science communications to inform policy globally, regionally and nationally in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We have the funding and passion to achieve this bold vision, along with the infrastructure, technical and regional communications experts, and desire to experiment.
We are looking for a dynamic, creative and self-directed Editorial Manager to take the freedom and resources we offer and make it happen – whether it involves editing a scientific publication, writing blog stories, writing a speech for a head of state, finessing a factsheet, editing a video script for a documentary or conceptualizing an animated info-graphic.
Duties and responsibilities
• Be the lead editor responsible for the quality of science writing in CIFOR publications, blogs, websites and other outputs.
• Manage CIFOR’s Forests News blog, which is run as a virtual news service on forestry. Increase the number of readers by raising the quality of articles, videos and other blog outputs.
• Conceptualize, write and edit science communications materials for research projects, events and websites in collaboration with CIFOR scientists and CIFOR’s Outreach Manager.
• Manage one staff person (Video editor), consultants (Writer and Videographer), and editorial interns. Expand and coordinate a global team of freelance writers, editors and translators.
• Work closely with members of CIFOR’s design, print and web teams to ensure that visual effects are an integral part of the messaging process for each output.
• Work closely with scientists and stakeholders in development and production of appropriate research publications and outputs.
• Collaborate closely with colleagues in ICG to constantly monitor, review, and adapt the Center’s communication strategy to meet and surpass clear targets.
• Work closely with scientists and program directors in the development of communications products, from project websites to conference flyers, to meet donor deliverables.
• Take on other communication tasks as required.
Education, knowledge and experience
• A minimum of Master’s Degree or equivalent in social sciences, communications, journalism, international affairs or a related field
• Seven to ten years of progressively responsible experience, in writing, editing and print or electronic publishing at the international level. Experience in the areas of environmental sciences, culture and/or science is an asset
• Fluency in English; Additional languages an advantage
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Be an avid reader of science and environmental literature and issues – someone who genuinely enjoys engaging with scientists and the topics they research
• Have a passion for storytelling and connecting with audiences
• Have a strong editorial background, able to identify the most compelling and appropriate stories and methods for telling them, whether tried-and-true, emerging or experimental
• Be a world-class writer and editor, who can turn their hand to any kind of material with great effect and due respect for academic rigor
• Be able to come up with and develop ideas for communicating science for impact, and be open to and excited by new possibilities
• Have a rich, varied body of work that demonstrates the ability to think across multimedia platforms, to experiment with new media and to never sacrifice quality or accuracy
• Be a dynamic go-getter with loads of initiative and an adventurous spirit.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities
Terms and Conditions
• Internationally-Recruited Staff position. Competitive remuneration in US dollars commensurate with skills and experience
• The appointment will be for a period of 2 years with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources
• The duty station will be at CIFOR headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia
Application processThe application deadline is 26 Jun-2015
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.