The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Freelance Editors, Writers, and Translators (Open Call for Roster)
You love language. You like the way it flows, the way it is structured.
You understand technical subjects and how to communicate clearly to a range of audiences.
You work well under tight deadlines and can handle an irregular workload.
You are a writer, an editor, or a translator. You are expertly fluent in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese or Indonesian.
CIFOR has an open call for freelancers to join our roster of language experts. We produce a wide range of content, from scientific articles to corporate reports to marketing materials, and we are looking for experienced, reliable consultants around the world who can help transform our research into high-quality communications materials.
Duties and responsibilities
We will use your expertise on a range of tasks, from writing corporate reports, to substantive research editing, to proofreading brochures, to translating video scripts, and everything in between, targeted to your particular skills and interests.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Minimum 8 years of professional experience in writing, editing or translating scientific or technical content
• Exceptional communications skills
• Experience with international NGOs a significant asset
• Background in environmental science a significant asset
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Highly responsive and proactive
• Sensitive client service focus and delicate critical eye
Terms and Conditions
• This is an open call for Editors, Writers and Translators on a consultancy basis. CIFOR offers hourly or per-word market-based remuneration.
• Work from anywhere in the world.
• Include in your cover letter a clear description of which stream(s) you are applying for: editing, translation or writing.
Application processThe application deadline is 21 May-2019.
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.