The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Video/Photo Team Leader
The Video/Photo Team Leader will manage a small group of video and photo producers to turn out compelling, innovative and high-quality multimedia content designed to help translate CIFOR’s high-caliber research into meaningful, real-world impact.
Already known for its innovation, ambition and reach, CIFOR’s communications program is looking to develop and use world-class, cutting-edge science communications to inform policy globally, regionally and nationally in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We have the funding and passion to achieve this bold vision, along with the infrastructure, technical and regional communications experts, and desire to experiment.
What we need now is a dynamic, creative and self-directed Video/Photo Team Leader to take the freedom and resources we offer and make it happen – whether it involves traveling to the field with a TV crew to produce a documentary, editing a photo essay, directing live video feeds of our global conferences, or engaging the world’s best photographers and videographers to shoot in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
The ideal candidate will:
• Have a passion and broad experience using video and photos for storytelling.
• Have a rich, varied body of work that demonstrates the ability to think strategically across multimedia platforms and to experiment with new media
• Be a dynamic go-getter with loads of initiative and an adventurous spirit.
Duties and responsibilities
• Help develop and implement a strategy to maximize CIFOR’s use of videos and photos as part of its communications program. This includes supervising 1 national staff person and a pool of freelance consultants globally.
• Conceptualize and produce video and photo content for research projects, themes, outputs or events, with particular attention to climate change and sustainable development, in collaboration with CIFOR scientists, partners, and CIFOR communications colleagues.
• Oversee CIFOR’s YouTube and Flickr accounts (http://www.youtube.com/user/CIFORVideo and https://www.flickr.com/photos/cifor), including strategizing how we use them in tandem with other promotional activities and other social media for maximum impact.
• Advise and train other members of the Information and Communications Group on video and photo production.
• Oversee video production related to webcasting, on-site and abroad, and events-related content
• Manage CIFOR’s video and photo library with effective upload, metadata and archiving processes, and oversee maintenance of the internal asset management system, CIFOR Gallery.
• Shoot and edit high-quality short documentaries as part of a multimedia package of blogs, videos, photos and other content.
• Take on other multimedia and storytelling tasks as requested.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Degree in multimedia production.
• At least 10 years’ experience producing high-quality documentary videos and photo packages.
• Broad experience with video and photo social media.
• Fluency in spoken and written English.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Go-getter, self-motivated and resourceful – someone who can make things happen
• Dynamic and creative
• Team player with excellent interpersonal skills, able to interact effectively and positively with people in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment
• Able to work well under pressure
• Strong client service approach
• Stickler for high quality and accuracy
Terms and Conditions
• This is a nationally recruited position.
• The appointment will be for a period of 2 (two) years, inclusive 6 (six) months’ probationary period, with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Sep-2014
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.