The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Senior Science Writer and Producer
The Senior Science Writer and Producer will work across a range of mediums and topics to turn out compelling, innovative and high-quality communications materials designed to help translate CIFOR’s high-caliber research into meaningful, real-world impact.
Already known for its innovation, ambition and reach, CIFOR’s communications program is looking to develop and use world-class, cutting-edge science communications to inform policy globally, regionally and nationally in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We have the funding and passion to achieve this bold vision, along with the infrastructure, technical and regional communications experts, and desire to experiment.
What we need now is a dynamic, creative and self-directed Senior Science Writer and Producer to take the freedom and resources we offer and make it happen – whether it involves traveling to the field with a multimedia crew to produce packages, conceptualizing an animated infographic, writing a speech for a head of state, or finessing a factsheet.
The ideal candidate will:
• Be an avid reader of science and environmental literature and issues – someone who genuinely enjoys engaging with scientists and the topics they research
• Have a passion for storytelling and connecting with audiences
• Have a strong editorial background, able to identify the most compelling and appropriate stories and methods for telling them, whether tried-and-true, emerging or experimental
• Be a world-class writer and editor, who can turn their hand to any kind of material with great effect and due respect for academic rigor
• Be able to come up with and develop ideas for communicating science for impact, and be open to and excited by new possibilities
• Have a rich, varied body of work that demonstrates the ability to think across multimedia platforms, to experiment with new media and to never sacrifice quality or accuracy
• Be a dynamic go-getter with loads of initiative and an adventurous spirit.
Duties and responsibilities
• Conceptualize, write and produce science communications materials for research projects, themes, outputs or events, with particular attention to climate change and sustainable development, in collaboration with CIFOR scientists, partners, Outreach Manager, and Regional Communications Coordinators.
• Contribute suggestions for communications activities and products to communications strategies/plans for projects, outputs, themes and/or events, as led by the Outreach Manager or Regional Communications Coordinators
• Write and edit materials, ensuring that all outputs are high quality and accurate
• Supervise a full-time consulting Science Writer
• Build and manage a pool of high-quality part-time consultants
• Provide advice and training where appropriate to other members of the Information and Communications Group
• Liaise with other members of the Information and Communications Group in producing and publishing work, including the Editor of Forests News and the Editorial and Multimedia Services Manager
Education, knowledge and experience
• Degree in communications, science (e.g. biophysical sciences, social sciences, political sciences, economics, etc.) or a related field
• At least 10 years’ experience in producing high-quality communications materials across a range of mediums (samples to be requested)
• Demonstrated interest in science and environmental issues and ability to grasp new material quickly
• Demonstrated ability to write and edit English across multiple styles and formats at a very high level (better than average native speaker)
• Awareness of visual effects of media and design, to be able to brief multimedia teams
• Experience working with technical experts, preferably in a multicultural context
• Fluency in English. Other languages an advantage.
• Experience working in developing countries an advantage
• Ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Go-getter, self-motivated and resourceful – someone who can make things happen
• Dynamic and creative
• Team player with excellent interpersonal skills, able to interact effectively and positively with people in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment
• Able to work well under pressure
• Strong client service approach
• Stickler for high quality and accuracy
Terms and Conditions
• This is an internationally recruited position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in USD, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of 2 (two) years, inclusive 9 (nine) months’ probationary period, with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Sep-2014
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.