The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is offering a one-year Digital Communications Intern position in its communication team in Bogor, Indonesia. The successful candidate will work predominantly on CIFOR’s extensive and dynamic social media apparatus. In the past few years, CIFOR’s digital communications presence — spearheaded by its Forests News blog, (www.forestsnews.cifor.org), a virtual news service on forestry science — has amplified the reach of CIFOR’s research like no other medium. In just a few years, it has become a crucial resource for researchers, journalists, academics, policy makers and students.
As social media is such a crucial part of CIFOR’s communications efforts, we are looking for an enthusiastic and proactive individual to support our digital communications work. This is a fantastic opportunity for the right person to gain experience in a busy and fast-paced communications department in a highly respected global research institution — the world’s leading authority on tropical forestry.
The intern will help engage users across its social media platforms — chiefly, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr and SlideShare — and assist with developing and curating content. Depending on skills and interests, the intern could be asked to assist with other tasks, which could include filming, editing, writing scripts, creating motion graphics and podcasts as well as researching and writing social media posts.
This is a highly customizable position with the freedom to be creative.
Please send us a resume and cover letter stating your knowledge of and experience with social media, digital marketing and new media. Your cover letter should also demonstrate what you hope to gain from this internship.
CIFOR may provide a nominal stipend ($1,500 per month) for the selected candidate, if there is no grant funding available for the internship, nor sponsorship by an academic institution.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Identify current media and social media trends relevant to the work of CIFOR to help establish new partnerships with influential networks.
2. Play a key role in the day-to-day running of Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn by sourcing and writing fresh, engaging posts that will grow our audiences.
3. Help to curate CIFOR’s Flickr, YouTube and SlideShare offerings – ensuring that captions and titles are engaging and link back to research findings.
4. Assist with other tasks relevant to CIFOR’s mission as advised by the ICG management team
Education, knowledge and experience
• Degree in science and/or journalism/communications
• A strong interest in how traditional media and digital marketing can be used to communicate complex information to a broad audience
• Well-developed writing and editing skills
• Fluency in English, both oral and written
• Demonstrated experience with Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
• Experience with YouTube, WordPress, Instagram, Pinterest, and Hootsuite an advantage
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Demonstrate a flexible and adaptable approach in a fast-paced environment
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to interact effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds and to be a team player.
Terms and Conditions
• The appointment is for one year.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia
Application processThe application deadline is 02 May-2014
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.