The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Resource Development Coordinator
The Resource Development Coordinator will contribute to CIFOR’s global resource mobilization objectives through identification of funding opportunities and – in coordination with scientists and other substantive staff – support the development of high-quality, compelling, solicited and unsolicited grant applications to CIFOR’s current and prospective public–private development partners. Primary objectives for the position, among others, are: to identify new funding opportunities to support CIFOR’s work at the global level; to support the development of strategic grant applications, timely review and submission of concept notes and proposals; to provide donor intelligence and assurance of strategic alignment of CIFOR’s objectives with donor priorities and objectives; to assist and support other relevant units with outreach and stewardship of major global donors and prospects; and to manage CIFOR’s resource development knowledge and information sharing platform.
Duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate the research and verification of new funding opportunities for relevant global campaigns and/or initiatives.
- Support global research teams in all stages of pre-award functions (concept note/proposal development, planning, drafting, editing, internal clearances and submission of high-value solicitation documents) and efficient transfer of approved awards to Program Management and Coordination (PMC) Team.
- Maintain an efficient knowledge-sharing and information portal in the myCIFOR system, which captures and shares information. myCIFOR also manages donor intelligence to enable successful funding approaches and institutional understanding of CIFOR’s resource development activities.
- Support the RDP Team and the Resource Development and Partnerships Committee (RDPC) on reporting progress in key areas of the funding strategy and preparing briefing materials for donor presentations and/or meetings.
- Coordinate with the RDP Team and other units on donor stewardship and cultivation for major global donors and prospects.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s degree in international relations, conservation/environmental sciences or agricultural development (applicants with an undergraduate degree with 5 years’ relevant work experience will be considered)
• minimum 3 years’ experience in resource mobilization with a proven track record of raising substantial funds for international organizations, UN agencies and/or international nongovernmental organizations
• knowledge of national/global development agendas and goals
• understanding of project cycle management
• experience in working with diverse teams
• above-average written and presentation skills
• experience with fundraising databases
• fluency in English (French and/or Spanish desirable)
• diplomatic, tactful and effective management and stewardship of major international donors.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• highly organized, detail oriented, “door opener” with reliable, timely and high-quality delivery of assignments
• ability to quickly upload and interpret complex and technical subject matter to diverse audiences
• demonstrated ability to independently solve various general problems and advise on complex and sensitive problems
• solid work ethic including quality and timely delivery.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in USD commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of 2 years, inclusive of a 9-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia; Hub office in Nairobi, Kenya; or Bonn, Germany.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 10 Apr-2020
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.