The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
In 2008, CIFOR initiated the Global Comparative Study on REDD+ (GCS REDD+) in three modules. The first module aims to understand national REDD+ policy processes. The second aims to learn from sub-national REDD+ projects. The third develops solutions to technical constraints in measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) of emissions reductions, in the synergy between REDD+ and adaptation, and in management at the landscape level to help adopt low -carbon emission policies and measures. The goal is to provide REDD+ policy makers and practitioner communities with the information, analysis and tools they need to ensure effective and cost-efficient reduction of carbon emissions with equitable impacts and co-benefits — the “3E” criteria.
Objectives of the assignment
Under GCS Module 1, a study of the national processes on REDD+ has been carried out in 14 countries. In this last year of the project, it is important to consolidate results and finish the analysis. The research consultant will contribute to data analysis for the development of scientific journal articles (specific country studies and comparative study) from social organization surveys and semi-structured interviews; maintain the database resulting from the Global Comparative Study on REDD+ module 1; and provide administrative support in organizing workshops, training and knowledge-sharing events. Background for the country study and examples of previous studies are available here: http://www.cifor.org/gcs/modules/redd-policies/country-profiles-drivers-agents-institutions/. The consultant will be supporting the final year of CIFOR’s GCS REDD+ module 1 on Policy Network Analysis (PNA).
Duties and responsibilities
- analyzing qualitative data using software such as NVivo and MaxQDA or Microsoft Excel;
- analyzing social network data using UCINet software;
- analyzing comparative study across PNA countries (Indonesia, Brazil, Vietnam, Peru, Ethiopia, DRC and Cameroon;
- conducting a literature search and review;
- assisting in writing scholarly publications;
- assisting in maintaining quality control of survey data and semi-structured interview data;
- assisting in logistics arrangements such as organizing workshops and knowledge-sharing events.
Education, knowledge and experience
• minimum of a bachelor’s degree (S1) in forestry, environmental science, political/social science or other related discipline
• at least two years of experience in relevant fields
• commitment to providing research support and interest in issues of forestry, climate change, REDD+, natural resources management, conservation, or political and economic study
• fluency in English both oral and written
• proficiency in Microsoft Office e.g. Word, Excel, Access database and Outlook.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to interact effectively with people in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
• excellent management and organization skills
• commitment to sharing of information and self-improvement
• comprehension of the value of citations and concerns about plagiarism
• attention to detail, and able to work with minimal supervision
• ability to perform critical and analytical thinking.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a part-time consultancy position.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience.
• Period of the consultancy is expected to be March – December 2020.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 14 Mar-2020
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.