The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Senior Project Officer
Under the supervision of the Team Leader-PMC, the Senior Project Officer will provide effective and efficient project management support to CIFOR’s project activities under appointed team(s). This will require substantial initiative and judgment, understanding of CIFOR’s systems, policies and procedures and close collaboration with Team Leaders, Project Managers, Finance staff, Human Resources staff, Team Support staff, Resource Development and Partnerships staff, and CIFOR’s partners.
Duties and responsibilities
- Work closely with the Legal Officer and Finance to review and analyze information provided in the contracts including amendments, and/or provide suggestions/advice in compliance with CIFOR’s policies and procedures.
- Draft sub-contracts (Letters of Agreement (LoA)) including amendments, based on ToR provided by Project Managers.
- Initiate the contracts in the Project Management System (PMS).
- • Review financial status as provided by Finance, follow up outstanding commitments and/or suggest necessary changes.
- • Support the Project Manager in monitoring the progress of project activities in order to understand the project’s financial spending (budget monitoring) and/or update the financial plan as necessary with Finance.
- Work closely with the Program Coordinator to review project documents and/or discuss with the Project Manager and/or project teams about the project implementation plan.
- Submit all required project data in the Project Management System (PMS)
- Initiate necessary changes in the Project Management System based on identified needs or at the request of the Project Manager.
- Upload donor technical reports and deliverables to the Project Management System.
- Work closely with project managers and other teams to ensure timely and accurate financial and narrative reporting by partners in compliance with the LoA with that partner
Education, knowledge and experience
• A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in relevant fields is required; Master’s degree preferable.
• A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in project administration and management, proven experience in international project, financial management as well as human resources policies and procedures are required.
• Excellent written and spoken English are required.
• Strong computer skills in word processing, database and other relevant office applications are required.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Have excellent skills in organizing and priority setting, and an ability to work effectively under time pressure and to manage multiple priorities.
• Be capable of working independently as well as being an effective team player.
• Possess good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment.
• Have experience working with a wide and diverse network of groups and individuals.
• Be proactive, target driven and diligent.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a local position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in IDR, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of 2 years, inclusive of a 6-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Mar-2020
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.