The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
CIFOR’s research teams work on projects covering a wide range of topics, supported by a wide range of donors and involving a wide range of partners. These projects need to meet standards set by CIFOR policies as well as meeting CGIAR and donor standards. This requires coordination between different units within CIFOR and partners outside CIFOR. The Program Coordinator supports project managers in these tasks.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop engagement with project managers in the research teams assigned to the incumbent, for planning and implementation of project activities;
- Coordinate start-ups (inception meetings), implementation, and closing phases of project management cycles for projects in research portfolios assigned to the incumbent;
- Liaise with the Research to Impact (RTI) team and project managers on Theory of Change – Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Impact Assessment (MELIA) to ensure lessons are fed back into project development;
- Coordinate with other research teams, the Resource Development and Partnerships (RDP) team, the Communication, Outreach and Engagement (COE) team, Finance, and Admin where needed to facilitate effective project implementation;
- Liaise with funders for project implementation-related matters, and support the drafting of donor reports and the collection of deliverables, including reporting to CGIAR, ensuring the quality of reports and their completion in line with donor requirements and CIFOR standards;
- Assure donor deliverables are completed and submitted as scheduled, in line with grant agreement requirements;
- Contribute to fund raising processes though networking and providing related data requirements to support Project Managers and the RDP team in proposal/concept note development;
- Support the assigned Flagship Leader in managing the reports, deliverables and budget overview of CGIAR CRPs;
- Engage actively with partners for drafting Terms of References for LoAs, information sharing, and assisting in the development of strategic partnerships; and
- Attend relevant meetings with visitors/donors, in coordination with the PRM team/specific scientists/research teams/projects.
Education, knowledge and experience
• A Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline;
• 5 years of relevant professional experience including 2 years of international experience;
• Familiarity with CGIAR systems, networks and processes is preferred;
• Experience in large projects;
• Strong project management skills;
• Excellent written and spoken command of English is essential; knowledge of other major international languages will be an advantage;
• Strong computer skills in all the main Microsoft Office programs, and database management.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Displays initiative and is capable of working independently as well as in a team environment;
• Is well planned and organized even within a fluid working environment, and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem-solving skills;
• Has attention to detail, as well as eye for the bigger picture;
• Has excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to interact effectively with people of multinational and diverse cultural backgrounds, and to be a team player;
• Works with trustworthiness and integrity.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a local position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in IDR commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of 2 years, inclusive of a 6-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Feb-2020
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.