The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Junior Communications Consultant
The Junior Communications Consultant for Central Africa will support the implementation of CIFOR’s communication strategy in the Congo Basin. He/she will work closely with CIFOR’s team in Central Africa to maximize the visibility of CIFOR’s activities in the region.
Objectives of the Consultancy:
1. Support the implementation of CIFOR’s communications strategy for Central Africa and regional projects.
2. Increase the engagement and outreach of CIFOR social media accounts for Central Africa.
3. Increase CIFOR’s presence in regional media.
4. Create awareness on forest-related issues across the region.
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage CIFOR Central Africa social media accounts.
- Drafting and editing press releases, blog stories, multimedia packages and corporate communication documents in French.
- Maintain media relations with journalists in the region.
- Organize conferences and workshops.
- Review and edit English to French translations.
- Assist CIFOR scientists to prepare presentations.
- Upload content to CIFOR’s Forests News French blog.
- Review the correct use of CIFOR’s branding on publications and other communications tools.
- Ad-hoc communications support to Yaoundé Hub scientists and the COE team.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s degree in the fields of communications, sustainable development, journalism, international relations or similar subjects.
• A minimum one year of professional experience in the fields of communications, public relations, journalism, or campaigning.
• Proven interest in sustainable development. Strong motivation to pursue a career communicating pressing environmental issues.
• Tech-savvy with excellent command of digital tools and social media.
• Native-level French (C1-C2).
• Good command of English (B2).
• Knowledge of WordPress, Canva, Piktochart, Hootsuite, Mailchimp and other communications platforms would be an asset.
• Previous experience within an international organization would be an asset.
• Previous experience doing fieldwork and communications for behavioral change would be an asset.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and to take the initiative, demonstrate innovation and exercise good judgment
• competency in personal organization, prioritization and accuracy, with the ability to work effectively under time pressures and manage multiple tasks
• good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment and to be an effective team player
• creative and flexible when responding to changing requirements.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a full-time consultancy position.
• The period of the consultancy is expected to be March – September 2020.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR Hub office in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 19 Jan-2020
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.