Director of Communications and Marketing
On January 1, 2019, two of the world’s leading science and development organizations focused on forestry and agroforestry, the Centre for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) began merging in order to provide the evidence and solutions needed to scale up investment in sustainable development and address the global challenges of our time. Together, we expect to leverage our capacities for place-based research, policy development and bespoke solutions to help countries, communities and companies improve land management and livelihoods, sustainably and resiliently.
CIFOR and ICRAF seek a joint appointment to lead their communications and marketing efforts.
To learn more, please visit the websites: www.worldagroforestry.org & www.cifor.org
The Director of Communications and Marketing will provide strategic leadership to CIFOR and ICRAF in the areas of public outreach, media and stakeholder relations, events, partnerships, host country relations as well as marketing of research and services to clients.
Duties and responsibilities
- Contribute to the overall strategic leadership of CIFOR and ICRAF, including strategy development and resource mobilization.
- Ensure consistent messaging across all knowledge products and outreach platforms and the such messaging with CIFOR and ICRAF strategy and governing documents.
- Advise the Directors General of CIFOR and ICRAF on matters relating to the CIFOR and ICRAF merger agenda and external relations, as well as issues that require attention in this regard.
- Manage the continued integration of CIFOR and ICRAF individual communications units including staff, infrastructure and resources, as part of the ongoing merger.
- Work closely with science teams and ensure that research findings are translated into innovative and engaging forms accessible to policy makers, opinion leaders and the general public as well as manage publishing flow of academic papers.
- Inspire and implement the use of new and innovative ways to target stakeholders and wider audiences, and stay abreast of developments in science communication, digital marketing and social media.
- Ensure enhanced internal communications within CIFOR and ICRAF by advising the leadership team on messaging and using appropriate mechanisms that maximize interaction and staff engagement.
- Represent CIFOR and ICRAF within the CGIAR as it relates to communication and engage in collaborative communication activities with other key partner institutions.
- Ensure stable and strategic relations with the host country governments with respect to host country agreements, relations with government entities and key individuals.
- Lead, manage and enhance the performance of multi-disciplinary and multicultural teams in Bogor and Nairobi and across all regions and themes.
- Lead efforts on enhancing and protecting CIFOR and ICRAF’s international profiles and reputation as a credible and reliable source of information and the “go to” place for tropical forestry and agroforestry research and evidence.
- Provide strategic support in mobilizing resources, building partnerships with key market players and profiling CIFOR and ICRAF and their achievements in corporate documents for key audiences, including funding partners and investors.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s degree in communications, journalism, or a related discipline.
• 15 years or more of professional work experience in media/communications, preferably within an international organization setting.
• Experience in working with multiple partners and working in developing countries.
• Excellent management and leaderships skills
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Strong client service approach.
• Strong, fast writer and editor with flair for turning complex research findings into accessible, easy-to-read content.
• Sound experience in managing teams with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
• Good understanding of financial planning and implementation.
• Proven understanding of contemporary media, social media and digital marketing.
• Ability to strategize at both macro and micro levels as well as plan, implement and evaluate complex communication programs.
• Advanced fluency in spoken and written English is key; other languages especially French, Spanish and Indonesian an added advantage.
• Highly organized and competent at setting priorities and problem solving with the ability to work effectively under time pressure.
• Strong drive to take initiative, demonstrate creativity and capable of setting the agenda.
• Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
Terms and Conditions
• This is Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position
• The appointment is for two (2) years, inclusive nine (9) months probationary period, with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be Bogor, Indonesia; Nairobi, Kenya; or Bonn, Germany.
• Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position and what they can bring to the job.
• For details on how to apply please go to https://www.cifor.org/careers/ or http://worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf/.
• Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We offer a collegial, diverse and gender-sensitive working environment, and we encourage applications from qualified women.
Application processThe application deadline is 18 Sep-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.