The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Consultant for Government and Partner Engagement in Papua Province
CIFOR, with financial support from the UK Climate Change Unit in Indonesia, is implementing a project titled “A Scientific Advocacy Support Mechanism for Sustainable Development in Papua and West Papua”. In this project, CIFOR implements activities to support the governments of West Papua and Papua provinces with the implementation of the Manokwari Declaration and other similar commitments, specifically focusing on controlling deforestation and protecting 70% of the land area. The activities include capacity development and advocacy activities. The specific activities to be implemented will be based on needs identified jointly with the provincial governments and stakeholders. For this, CIFOR is looking for one engagement officer in each of Jayapura and Manokwari (two engagement officers in total).
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Consultant will support the implementation of the project in Papua Province by facilitating the engagement of governments and partners.
Duties and responsibilities
- Represent the project in Papua Province.
- Strategically engage and communicate with government, civil society, universities and other stakeholders in Papua Province.
- Identify priorities for training and other kinds of support.
- Support the organizing of meetings, training sessions and workshops, including actively facilitating discussions.
- Assist in advocacy activities related to this project, including attending meetings organized by other (key) parties.
- Identify links with and opportunities for other CIFOR projects in Papua Province where needed.
Education, knowledge and experience
• undergraduate degree in management, forestry, communication or other related field
• 6 years of relevant experience in Papua Province
• has studied, is interested in or has experience working on environmental issues and specifically forest or land use issues in Papua Province
• has an excellent network among government, NGOs and universities in Papua Province
• fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and good written and spoken command of the English language are required
• has strong computer skills in all the main Microsoft Office programs.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• displays initiative and is capable of working independently as well as in team environments
• pays attention to details
• has excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to interact effectively with people of multinational and cultural backgrounds and to be a team player
• is trustworthy and has integrity
• flexible – e.g. can work extra/out-of-office hours as and when required.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a full-time consultancy position.
• This vacancy is open for candidates based in Papua.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
• The duty station will be in Jayapura, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Aug-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.