The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) Community Specialist
The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) is a partnership initiative led by CIFOR through its GLF team. The team is based in the new CIFOR office in Bonn, Germany, and the CIFOR headquarters in Indonesia. The GLF team is responsible for delivery on all GLF activities, and for expanding the GLF partnership and community.
GLF is the world’s largest multistakeholder platform on integrated landscapes and aims to create a movement of one billion people around productive, prosperous, equitable and resilient landscapes. Founded by CIFOR, UN Environment and the World Bank, with 23 charter members among the world’s leading development organizations, and core funding provided by the German Government, the GLF operates from a secretariat in Bonn and focuses on five main themes: restoration, finance, rights, food and livelihoods, and measuring progress.
Since 2013, over 180,000 stakeholders from more than 4400 organizations and 185 countries have engaged with the GLF in person and online, with stakeholders from community and indigenous people’s organizations, finance, civil society, government, media and the youth. We have reached 500 million people online and through traditional media. The GLF is founded on four principles: connecting, sharing, learning and acting and has produced global conferences in the following cities: Warsaw, Lima, London, Paris, Marrakech, Jakarta, Bonn, Washington DC, Nairobi, Katowice and Kyoto. And in 2019 we will be in Bonn, New York, Accra, Luxembourg and Santiago.
From building the investment case for sustainable landscapes, to developing a gold standard for indigenous people’s rights, to supporting the Decade on Ecosystem Restoration, the GLF has been at the cutting edge in hosting and facilitating all manner of discussions to accelerate positive action for people, for the environment, and for the achievement of global climate and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Together we will create a global force to contribute to achieving the SDGs and climate agenda by creating a positive vision of what we can do if we all work together.
BE A PART OF A GLOBAL MOVEMENT. BE A PART OF THE GLF.
Duties and responsibilities
- Engage directly with selected communities, networks and stakeholders and maintain a dialogue on the added value that GLF can provide to facilitate/catalyze actions at the landscape level.
- Identify, interview, onboard and support potential GLFx chapter leaders.
- Assist in the development of GLFx campaigns (promotional, launch, and ongoing) with the GLF Communications and Outreach team.
- Execute innovative approaches and activities for growing an action-oriented community of practice (for example, webinars, competitions, quizzes, videos, etc.).
- Coordinate with the GLF Knowledge team to ensure quality and maintain the standard of GLFx events and related knowledge products.
- Develop guidelines for the growing GLFx mechanism.
- Establish value feedback loops from and in between communities starting from the ground up.
- Explore partnership and fundraising opportunities while maximizing synergies across the GLFx mechanism and the broader GLF agenda.
Education, knowledge and experience
• university degree in a related discipline (communications, development, international relations, environment, etc.)
• at least 2–3 years’ experience in international development, partner relations or growing online or in-person communities of practice; experience in developing countries is an asset
• demonstrated interest and experience in the strategic and innovative use of digital media for nonprofit or international organizations, preferably at a global level and including for global event
• experience in designing and running development or advocacy campaigns
• experience in planning, implementing and evaluating complex projects
• experience in working with the SDGs or United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) policy processes is an asset
• fluency in English is essential; other languages an advantage.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• self-motivated, resourceful and energetic
• able to find creative solutions
• able to strategize at both macro and micro levels
• a team player with outstanding interpersonal communications skills
• outstanding diplomatic and negotiation skills
• proven ability to work well under pressure.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a full-time consultancy position.
• CIFOR’s employment conditions follow local labor laws and regulations. CIFOR will employ a suitable candidate regardless of nationality, provided that he/she complies with the local requirements for working at the posting location. Being a citizen of an EU country is preferred.
• Period of the consultancy is expected to be September 2019 – July 2020.
• The duty station will be in Bonn, Germany.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Aug-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.