The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Freelance Publication Typesetter
The Typesetter will take on short-term product-based assignments to produce international-quality publication products. Tasks will be assigned to assist typesetting staff during high-volume periods to accommodate and support technical publication requests.
The typesetter will work under the supervision of Typesetting Officer.
Duties and responsibilities
- Consulting with clients and typesetting staff to determine project specifications and deliverables;
- Ensuring high quality publication deliverables
- Ensuring creative and design deliverables are representative of the project goals and CIFOR brand values;
- Providing advice and recommendations typesetting and design options, as well as details such as photography, illustrations and printing specifications;
- Developing project timelines as required, delivering projects on time and to the highest standards.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in creative design or communications. Background in science or environmental studies is an advantage;
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in typesetting books, academic writing or reports and graphic design;
• Mastery of Adobe design package applications: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat;
• Mastery of MS Word design format for report;
• Experience in proofreading of editorial publications using Adobe PDF mark-up;
• Excellent knowledge of print production/finishing, digital and offset printing knowledge, and camera-ready formatting for printing;
• Highly proficient typography skills, with ability to carefully input details and corrections, including effective version control and preparation for print;
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, with fluent written and spoken English;
• Past professional experience working in English
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• An independent thinker who is self-motivated and able to juggle many projects and initiatives at once;
• Ability to set up priorities to achieve the deliverables in timely manners
Ability to work quickly from concept creation to finished product;
• Open mind, comfortable taking constructive criticism, willing to improve performance and learn challenges or difficulties.
• Creative and able to take the initiative;
• Capable of working independently, as well as being an effective team player.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a part-time consultancy position.
• The period of the consultancy is expected to be 6 months
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
• This a home-based position, but preferably if the applicant is based in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Jul-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.