The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Consultant for Forest Monitoring Capacities for REDD+
The consultant will be responsible for developing a database and writing a paper on forest monitoring capacity (change) in Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+) countries.
Regular assessment of national capacities for forest monitoring (forest area change, carbon assessment) in the context of REDD+ is valuable, and provides insight into whether these capacities have been enhanced in recent years. It provides an entry point to look deeper into discerning the constraints and enabling factors, and finding the remaining gaps.
Building on two previous assessments of REDD+ forest monitoring capacities, the Consultant will undertake two main tasks:
(1) Analyze the FAO FRA 2015 dataset to assess the status of and change in forest monitoring capacities of REDD+ countries, and compare it with the previous two national forest monitoring capacity assessments (Romijn et al. 2012 and 2015). The analysis should also include a review of other existing data (e.g. Global Forest Observations Initiative (GFOI)’s data) on country needs assessments.
(2) Develop and execute a survey among selected REDD+ countries for a more in-depth analysis of the reasons why monitoring capacities are more advanced in some countries than in others.
The analysis and outputs (database and paper) will inform national and international stakeholders about remaining gaps and needs in monitoring capacities. In addition, they should point to success factors in developing capacities. Together, this information can be used to have more targeted capacity building (it should be applicable to regions as well as approaches and topics) in order to enhance capacities more efficiently.
The consultant will work with researchers at CIFOR and its partners (Wageningen University and FAO).
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop concepts and methods for REDD+ forest monitoring capacity assessment.
- Develop survey for in-depth analysis of capacities.
- Compile database on forest monitoring capacities based on various sources (e.g. FAO FRA, survey, GFOI).
- Undertake data analysis based on the database (assessing current status in FRA 2015 and comparing it with the two previous assessments for a trend analysis), and on the survey.
- Lead the writing of a scientific paper on forest monitoring capacity (change) in REDD+ countries.
- Prepare database for public access through Lucid.wur.nl and CIFOR Dataverse.
- Communicate with project partners.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s degree in environmental science, geography or in other related fields
• relevant experience in data science, GIS, remote sensing, environmental science, geography or a related field
• excellent written and spoken English
• technical skills to handle spatial data are essential
• knowledge about tropical forest monitoring and climate change mitigation (REDD+) is valued
• experiences and willingness to work with developing countries
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Be self-motivated, outgoing and welcome the opportunity to work with significant autonomy.
• Be a team player and have excellent interpersonal communication skills.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a full-time consultancy position.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The assignment is for 8 months.
• The consultant will work at Wageningen University, the Netherlands.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 22 Jul-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.