The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
FTA Communication Coordinator
The CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA) is the world’s largest research for development program to enhance the role of forests, trees and agroforestry in sustainable development and food security and to address climate change. CIFOR leads the FTA in partnership with Bioversity International, Centro Agronómico Tropical de Investigación y Enseñanza (CATIE), The French Agricultural Research Centre for International Development (CIRAD), The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), The International Bamboo and Rattan Organisation (INBAR) and Tropenbos International (TBI). Under supervision of the CIFOR Communications, Outreach and Engagement Team Leader Digital and Editorial Services and the FTA Director, the FTA Communications Coordinator will lead strategic communications across the FTA partner network, oversee management of the FTA brand, be responsible for all publishing and digital production including the FTA website and related digital platforms, lead social media and traditional media outreach, produce stories, blogs, films and other multimedia content, lead FTA communications at events and provide regular reporting on performance metrics of the communications program.
Duties and responsibilities
- The FTA program and messaging are communicated effectively to all relevant audiences.
- The FTA partnership network is engaged and active in FTA communications.
- All FTA communications are of high quality and produced in a timely, cost-effective manner
- Produce and implement an annual strategic communications plan, and report regularly on its implementation and effectiveness.
- Oversee the FTA brand, ensuring FTA is recognized in all supported communications.
- Develop and support the network of FTA partner focal points, including coordinating regular interactions for communicating FTA decisions, content development and collaboration.
- Maintain the program website (at ForestsTreesAgroforestry.org) ensuring content is accurate, appropriate and current. Oversee website development by the web team as needed.
- Showcase FTA research and activities through the planning, development and implementation of a wide variety of content in all mediums including print, digital and multimedia.
- Lead outreach and engagement at FTA events.
- Support the FTA Management Unit in the production of plans of works and annual reports to funders.
- Oversee email marketing including newsletters and blasts.
- Lead social media and digital marketing.
- Coordinate, with the support of the CIFOR CoE team, the work of diverse resource persons.
- Complete all related tasks as assigned by the FTA Director and the Team Leader Digital and Editorial Services.
Education, knowledge and experience
• MA in food security and nutrition and/or agricultural-related topics, or scientific communication, scientific journalism, science writing or equivalent
• at least 10 years’ professional communications experience
• at least 5 years of professional experience in working in international organizations and working with high-level scientists
• knowledge of forestry, agriculture or international development
• proficient knowledge of Adobe packages (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.)
• ability to manage data (e.g. in Excel)
• expertise in creating appealing, comprehensible graphics from scientific data (conceptual frameworks, info-diagrams, flowcharts, etc.)
• fluency in English; French and/or Spanish is an asset.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• ability to work well in diverse teams and environments
• ability to take the initiative and find solutions
• rigorous and excellent attention to detail
• ability to manage multiple tasks, including coordinating multiple contractors
• strong client service approach.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a full-time consultancy position.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia, or Rome, Italy.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Jul-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.