The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Science Writer and Editor
The Science Writer and Editor will be responsible for generating, editing and curating content and special features for CIFOR’s scientific and corporate publications, corporate website, CIFOR.org and its subsites, and enhance the publications’ quality and effectiveness in attracting and engaging with target audiences, with the aim of increasing the number of downloads and citations.
CIFOR.org, which attracts more than one million views a year, is home to the world’s largest repository of knowledge on tropical forests and landscapes, built by CIFOR’s researchers and partners throughout the organization’s more than 25-year history. CIFOR designs and packages knowledge for audiences in new ways. This intermittent, one-year consultancy will suit a seasoned writer and editor with a flair for translating complex concepts into layman terms, a passion for science communications, and ideas on ways to present content in print and digital forms to better engage target audiences. A background in journalism as well as an understanding of social media and how websites work would be helpful.
The consultant will work with talented and experienced publication and web teams (graphic designers, programmers, analysts and web designers) and serve as a liaison between the publication and web teams and their clients (CIFOR researchers and colleagues within the Communication, Outreach and Engagement team).
Duties and responsibilities
- Write and/or edit scientific publications and other materials.
- Produce and curate content on CIFOR.org and subsites, ensuring the sites are up-to-date and reflect current priorities as set by the Editorial and Multimedia Services Manager.
- Curate content onto CGIAR.org, Global Landscapes Forum (GLF), Landscape News, and Forests News and other websites that drive traffic to CIFOR.org.
- Maintain the Featured Publications section of CIFOR.org, including writing web stories to promote publications.
- Liaise with researchers and project coordinators to support the development of web resources and sites, give clear briefs to the web team on changes required, write and edit copy, and guide projects to the end.
- Liaise with the Social Media team to ensure publications are promoted through social media.
- Provide inputs on publication guidelines and toolkits, communication strategy and websites redesign.
- Undertake other tasks related to scientific writing and editing for print and web, as required by the Editorial and Multimedia Services Manager.
Education, knowledge and experience
• university degree in a related discipline (communications, development, international relations, environment, etc.)
• demonstrated ability to write and edit high-quality and accessible English-language science communications materials, especially for print and web, in a range of styles as required (samples of unedited writing will be requested)
• demonstrated interest and experience in the use of print publications and websites for science or other research/development communications
• native fluency in formal and idiomatic English; other major languages an asset
• international experience with an NGO or comparable organization an advantage
• familiarity with WordPress preferred.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
• strong client service approach
• resourceful, adaptable and self-directed, and able to find creative solutions
• passion for excellence.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a Consultancy position.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The assignment is for 12 months.
• The consultant will work remotely but candidates living in Europe are preferred.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Jun-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.