The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Consultant Web Developer of Wild Meat Database and FTA Website
CIFOR Wild Meat Database
CIFOR is conducting a research project on wild meat, funded by USAID and USFWS, with the aim of providing policy makers, practitioners and stakeholders with standardized, useful and accessible data on wildmeat use in Central Africa. One of the key project activities is to collect, organize and share wild meat consumption data at a regional and global scale to allow the investigation of drivers of wild meat consumption. Through effective data management and analysis, provided through a clear and easy to use website, key data can be made more available and useful to policy makers, practitioners and scientists, enabling the sound management of wild meat resources.
The CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA) is one of the CGIAR’s 14 research programs. FTA is led by the Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR), in partnership with Biodiversity International, CATIE, CIRAD, the International Network for Bamboo and Rattan, Tropenbos International, and the World Agroforestry Centre, and links with dozens of scientific and development institutions.
FTA uses its website as a key communication gateway to inform the public, stakeholders and partners about its research activities and outputs. The website features the program’s strategy and various content from FTA partners that include corporate news, publications, datasets, presentations, videos, events, newsletters and infographics.
Duties and responsibilities
- To build a website for the Wild Meat Database, and associated databases, including the design and implementation of information architecture, and user interface and functionalities that allow users to accomplish their tasks based on assigned roles.
- Support content updates and website maintenance of both the Wild Meat database and FTA website
- On FTA website development as well as on database integration with main CIFOR website, the consultant is required to be involved both in front-end and back-end WordPress customization:
- Front-end interface covers graphic design and functionalities that help web visitors navigate the site.
- Back-end interface covers customization to WordPress back-end both in visual and functions, so authors, editors and administrators can operate WordPress by using additional/custom editing features.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Bachelor’s degree in web design, programming or equivalent work experience
• 2 years’ work experience in relevant field
• Experience in WordPress front-end and back-end customization an advantage
• Website developer with very good knowledge in web-design and programming to build online and offline web-based applications
• WordPress website development that involves programming for user-interface and data presentation from database
• Proficient in PHP and web database programming
• Proficient in Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) and relevant CSS framework implementation
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and to take initiative and exercise good judgment
• Competency in personal organisation, priority setting and accuracy, with the ability to work effectively under time pressures and manage multiple priorities
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment and to be an effective team player
• Creative, and flexible to respond to changing requirements
Terms and Conditions
• This is a full-time consultancy position.
• The period of the consultancy is expected to be from June 2019 until May 2020.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 May-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.