The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Data Management Consultant
WILDMEAT aims to inform national and regional policy in Central Africa by providing stakeholders with a comprehensive evidence base on wildmeat use, and tools with which to collect, manage and assess wildmeat data. The key activities of the WILDMEAT team will include: a) creating a regional database of wildmeat consumption, sales and offtake, which will be made freely available through a custom-built web tool; b) creating scientifically robust indicators to track wildmeat use nationally and regionally; c) creating regional protocols and toolkits for standardized methodologies to collect and use bushmeat data; d) training key stakeholders in the use of the database, indicators and methodologies; and e) analyzing available data held in the database to understand key patterns and trends. Partners include the Central African Bushmeat Action Group (CABAG), the University of Stirling and the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS).
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage the WILDMEAT database and data, in line with the WILDMEAT data management procedures and standards.
- Contribute to maintaining effective communication between the focal point of the WILDMEAT project at CIFOR, the focal point at the University of Stirling, and between the regional coordination teams in Gabon and Cameroon.
- Provide support to the Project Manager in the preparation of donor reports.
- Prepare and deliver oral presentations on project issues.
- Communicate complex or substantive project information provided by or at the direction of the Project Leader.
- Contribute to/participate in dissemination activities (of research outcomes) at an any level.
Education, knowledge and experience
• bachelor’s degree in information management or related disciplines
• a minimum of two years of working experience in research/technical/development organizations
• basic knowledge of data management protocols, procedures and best practice
• basic knowledge of scientific publication requirements and best practice
• ability to work in both English and Bahasa; knowledge of French and Spanish would be useful
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• high level of computer literacy
• good oral and written communication
• ability to interact with people in an interdisciplinary and multicultural environment
Terms and Conditions
• This is a full-time consultancy position.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ office in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 May-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.