The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Youth in Landscapes Network Intern
The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) is the world’s largest intersectoral platform designed to examine knowledge, share experiences and accelerate action by communities as they invest in and move towards more resilient, climate-friendly, diverse, productive, equitable and, thereby, sustainable landscapes. Founded by CIFOR, UN Environment and the World Bank, and with core funding provided by the German Government, the Global Landscapes Forum is scaling up to engage one billion people in realizing their local priorities, while at the same time contributing significantly towards the overall achievement of the sustainable development goals (SDGs) and climate agenda. Since 2013, over 180,000 stakeholders from more than 4400 organizations and 185 countries have engaged with the GLF in person and online, with stakeholders from community and indigenous peoples organizations, finance, civil society, government, media and the youth. The GLF is founded on four principles: connecting, sharing, learning and acting.
The GLF believes in the unique change-making capacity of young people and seeks to foster a strong youth community of practice through the Youth in Landscapes Initiative (YIL) and the execution of youth-led programs.
The YIL is a partnership for young landscape leaders currently coordinated by the Young Professionals for Agricultural Development (YPARD), the International Forestry Students Association (IFSA) and the Global AgroEcology Alliance (GAEA). The YIL exists to unite and empower youth (aged 18–35 years) from diverse backgrounds around the world to have a voice, and to learn and effect positive change in their landscapes and livelihoods. The YIL accomplishes this through a focus on leadership training, capacity building, community building, mentorship and fostering intergenerational dialogue.
Duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate regularly with the Youth in Landscapes Steering Committee and GLF Youth Coordinator.
- Assist in creating and delivering youth programs at GLF events, primarily the 2-day training session.
- Maintain all Youth in Landscapes pages on the GLF website
- Assist in knowledge management and regularly update activities and information of YIL partner organizations – International Forestry Students’ Association (IFSA), Young Professionals for Agricultural Development (YPARD), Global AgroEcology Alliance (GAEA), and others (International Association of Students in Agricultural and Related Sciences (IAAS), European Geography Association (EGEA), Global Youth Biodiversity Network (GYBN), Climate Smart Agriculture Youth Network (CSAYN), etc.)
- Lead outreach to associate partners and youth organizations
- Facilitate engagement and network building on social media (YIL Facebook groups)
- Craft communications material and regularly promote new opportunities
- Undertake other key tasks and administration related to young people and GLF as they arise
Education, knowledge and experience
• a minimum of three years of a BSc completed in international development, natural science, communication or related fields; recent graduates preferred
• excellent English writing skills
• experience with online engagement, youth organizations, capacity development or event-management
• experienced with WordPress and social media
• experienced and/or comfortable with remote work.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• effective time management capabilities
• strong organizational and communication skills
• Creative and passionate about changing the world
• Fearless attitude and open to learning
• Proven ability to work in fast-paced environment and take initiative.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an internship opportunity for 6 months.
• CIFOR’s employment conditions follow local labor laws and regulations. CIFOR will employ suitable candidates regardless of nationality, provided that he/she complies with the local requirements for working at the posting location. Being a citizen of an EU country is preferred.
• CIFOR may provide the Intern with a monthly stipend or living allowance. The stipend or living allowance provided to the Intern shall follow the rate used by the Human Resources Unit for Interns at CIFOR.
• The duty station will be in Bonn, Germany.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Apr-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.