The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a nonprofit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
CIFOR is looking for a
The Communications Intern for Central Africa will support the implementation of CIFOR’s communication strategy in the Congo Basin. He/she will work closely with CIFOR’s communications team in Yaoundé, Cameroon, to maximize the visibility of CIFOR’s activities in the region.
Objectives of the Internship:
1. Support the implementation of CIFOR’s communications strategy for Central Africa.
2. Contribute to managing French social media accounts for CIFOR and the Global Landscapes Forum (GLF).
3. Drafting and editing press releases, blog stories, multimedia packages and corporate communication documents in French.
4. Help organize conferences and workshops in the region.
Summary of responsibilities
• Research content and draft messages to feed French social media for CIFOR and the Global Landscapes Forum (GLF).
• Review and edit English to French translations.
• Assist CIFOR scientists to prepare presentations.
• Contribute to drafting blogs, press releases and other communications materials.
• Upload content to CIFOR’s Forests News French blog.
• Review the correct use of CIFOR’s branding on publications and other communications tools.
• Ad-hoc communications support to Yaoundé Hub scientists and the COE team.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s level student or recent graduate (less than one year) in the fields of communications, sustainable development, international relations or similar subjects
• Proven interest in sustainable development. Strong motivation to pursue a career communicating pressing environmental issues
• Tech-savvy with excellent command of digital tools and social media
• Native-level French (C1-C2)
• Good command of English (B2)
• Knowledge of WordPress, Canva, Piktochart, Hootsuite, Mailchimp and other communications platforms would be an asset
• Previous communications experience within an international organization would be an asset
Personal attributes and competencies
• Creative and passionate about changing the world
• Fearless attitude and open to learning
• Proven ability to work in fast-paced environment and take initiative
• Positive attitude at all times
Terms and conditions
• This is an internship opportunity for 3 months.
• CIFOR’s employment conditions follow local labor laws and regulations.
• CIFOR may provide the Intern with a monthly stipend or living allowance. The stipend or living allowance provided to the Intern shall follow the rate used by the Human Resources Unit for Interns at CIFOR.
• The duty station will be in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
• The application deadline is 22 March 2019.
• We will acknowledge all applications, but will only contact short-listed candidates.
How to apply?
Please send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 22 of March 2019:
1. Curriculum vitae – English/French, two pages maximum.
2. Motivation statement – French, 300 words maximum.
3. Written exercise – Draft five tweets that CIFOR’s Central Africa Twitter account could use to promote this Forests News article: https://forestsnews.cifor.org/59353/proteger-les-tresors-botaniques-du-congo?fnl=fr. Please send the following documents to email@example.com by the 20 of April 2019:
To see other vacancies, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at: