The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Social Media Internship
The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) is a partnership initiative led by CIFOR through its GLF Team. The team will be located mainly in a new CIFOR office in Bonn, Germany. The GLF Team is responsible for delivery on all GLF activities, and for expanding the GLF partnership and community. The GLF is organized in three work areas led by the Community of Landscapes Leader, GLF Executive Producer, and Chief of Knowledge respectively.
The Global Landscapes Forum is the world’s largest inter-sectoral platform designed to examine knowledge, share experiences and accelerate action by communities as they invest in and move towards more resilient, climate-friendly, diverse, productive, equitable and, thereby, sustainable landscapes. Founded by CIFOR, UN Environment, and The World Bank, and with core funding provided by the German Government, the Global Landscapes Forum is scaling-up to engage one billion people in realizing their local priorities, while at the same time contributing significantly towards the overall achievement of the sustainable development goals and climate agenda. Since 2013, over 25,000 stakeholders from more than 3,000 organizations and 110 countries have engaged with the GLF both in person and online, with stakeholders from community and indigenous peoples organizations, finance, civil society, government, media and the youth. The GLF Community of Landscapes is founded on four principles: connecting, sharing, learning and acting. Our vision considers people first and recognizes that people acting together drive change.
Over the next four years, with the support of core funding from the German government and with the support of core, co-founding partners, such as UN Environment and the World Bank, the GLF will expand the discussion to a larger audience than ever before, and place communities at the center of the conversation. This event will challenge global influencers to react, expand, and — of course — scale-up actions required to build sustainable landscapes.
The Global Landscapes Forum is a place where a farmer can inform action, pathways and policies; where international organizations can learn from the private sector and vice versa; and where CEOs, community leaders, communicators and technologists can share, learn, connect and act together.
From building the investment case for sustainable landscapes to protecting peatlands to supporting restoration in Africa, the Global Landscapes Forum has been at the cutting edge in hosting and facilitating all manner of discussions to accelerate positive action for people, for the environment, and for the achievement of global climate and sustainable development goals.
Together we will create a global force to achieve the SGDs and climate agenda by creating a positive vision of what we can do it we all work together.
BE A PART OF A GLOBAL MOVEMENT. BE A PART OF THE GLF.
Duties and responsibilities
- Post on GLF social media on a daily basis under the guidance of the Social Media Manager.
- In collaboration with GLF staff, pitch and generate ideas to promote social media and web engagement.
- Support program activities and administrative tasks.
- Work with the Digital Content Manager to promote and distribute the content of the GLF and Landscapes News across platishers, long-form social media channels, and other forums.
- Contribute to facilitation efforts, knowledge curation and the development of the learning lab course and its modules.
- Work with the on-site Social Media Manager to create and implement campaigns.
- Assist the GLF team with event planning, communication outreach and the generation of knowledge products.
- Support the monitoring of activities and reporting on outputs.
- Carry out research on partner organizations, speakers and others who can add value to GLF activities.
Education, knowledge and experience
• A recent graduate of a bachelor’s or master’s program in communications, public relations, journalism, social sciences, international development, environmental science or a related discipline.
• A demonstrated interest in and knowledge of issues related to forests, climate, landscapes and sustainable development.
• Excellent English writing and communication skills.
• Proven skills in social media networking.
• Familiarity with micro-blogging, content marketing, platishers, and forums.
• Experience in campaign management, event coordination and facilitation is a plus.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Effective time management and the ability to think strategically and find solutions.
• An excellent eye for detail and dedication to quality outputs.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds and to be a collaborative team player.
• A strong interest in using traditional and digital media to communicate complex information to broad audiences, and in gaining skills in communicating science.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an internship opportunity for 6 months.
• CIFOR’s employment conditions follow local labor laws and regulations. CIFOR will employ suitable candidates regardless of nationality, provided that he/she complies with the local requirements for working at the posting location. Being a citizen of an EU country is preferred.
• CIFOR may provide the Intern with a monthly stipend or living allowance in accordance with the Project Document or as agreed with the Sponsor. The stipend or living allowance provided to the Intern shall follow the rate used by the Human Resources Unit for Interns at CIFOR.
• Under the overall guidance of the Social Media Manager and Digital Content Manager, duties may be completed from the GLF Secretariat in Bonn, Germany.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
Application processThe application deadline is 28 Feb-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.