The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Team Leader, Research to Impact
CIFOR is a nonprofit, global facility dedicated to advancing human well-being, environmental conservation and equity. We conduct research that enables more informed and equitable decision making about the use and management of forests in less-developed countries.
CIFOR is committed to demonstrating the effectiveness of its research and to encouraging systematic learning from experience, through effective monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment. Policy-oriented natural resource management research such as that undertaken by CIFOR and its partners is complex, with multiple pathways, involving many actors, and with multiple scales of influence and impact. These realities challenge our aspirations. Research monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment are needed to support learning about what works and what does not work, to inform improved research design and implementation, and to credibly report on results.
CIFOR is leading the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA) – in partnership with Bioversity International, the International Center for Tropical Agriculture, the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), Centro Agronómico Tropical de Investigación y Enseñanza (CATIE), International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR), Tropenbos International and Centre de Coopération Internationale en Recherche Agronomique pour le Développement (CIRAD). FTA is the world’s largest research for development program aimed at enhancing the role, the management and governance of forests, agroforestry and tree resources across the landscape, from farms to forests, and along value-chains, to meet the overarching objectives of sustainable development, food security and nutrition, and to address climate change. Impact driven, FTA seeks to develop, provide and promote evidence-based technical, policy and institutional solutions and innovations for farmers, foresters, practitioners, value chain actors and policy makers.
Duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate the management of centralized MELIA, knowledge management and geographic information system (GIS) services across CIFOR’s research themes and regional hub offices.
- Provide technical leadership for CIFOR’s MELIA activities including:
- working closely with team leaders and researchers to embed an impact-oriented culture, evaluative thinking and reflective practice in project cycles
- assisting scientists with outcomes-oriented proposal development, design and planning of research activities
- providing on-the-job capacity-building support in relation to effective MELIA in research
- developing and testing of fit-for-purpose, innovative evaluation approaches to assess the influence of policy-oriented natural resources management research
- overseeing the design and implementation of outcome monitoring protocols to ensure that project/research outcomes are well documented
- managing a pipeline of evaluation studies for CIFOR in collaboration with project leads
- supporting external evaluations and reviews of the CIFOR's work.
- Work in close collaboration with the FTA MELIA Coordinator and other MELIA leaders within FTA-participating institutions to devise and jointly implement the FTA workplan on ex ante, ex post impact assessment and outcome evaluations.
- Ensure that CIFOR systems and processes are coherent and aligned with FTA and more broadly with CGIAR systems and processes.
- Manage and directly deliver MELIA services (outcome-oriented project design, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework development, monitoring system implementation support) as part of large CIFOR-led or multipartner projects.
- Co-develop a research stream in partnership with Royal Roads University to investigate the effectiveness of transdisciplinary research in influencing forestry policies and practices.
Education, knowledge and experience
• minimum qualification is a Master’s degree or equivalent experience in economics, impact assessment or a relevant quantitative social science
• between five (5) to eight (8) years’ work experience in evaluation/impact assessment, including three (3) years in a research and development institution and three (3) years with a multidisciplinary team
• experience with designing impact assessment protocols, monitoring, evaluation and up-to-date knowledge of qualitative and quantitative evaluation methods
• familiarity with the project cycle (design, implementation, supervision, monitoring, evaluation) and with contemporary work relevant to evaluation and impact assessment of policy-oriented natural resource management research
• good publications record
• excellent written and spoken English (required); proficiency in other international languages is an advantage.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• excellent analytical and synthesis skills
• excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
• good management and organization skills
• excellent facilitation skills
• values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning
• ability to travel.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a global position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in USD, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment is for 2 years, inclusive of a 9-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 28 Feb-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.