The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Landscape News and Communications Intern
The Global Landscapes Forum is the world’s largest knowledge-based platform on sustainable land use. Founded in 2013 by CIFOR, UN Environment and the World Bank, and with core funding provided by the German Government, the Global Landscapes Forum aims to engage one billion people with its mission of creating a more sustainable future, while contributing significantly toward the overall achievement of the sustainable development goals (SDGs) and climate agenda. To date, 3,900 organizations and 150,000 people have participated in the GLF across the world. Social media has reached more than 231 million in 185 countries, and we have been covered by more than 4,900 media outlets, with a media reach of 250 million.
To truly transform landscapes and communities around the world, the GLF believes that communicating and engaging with people from all sectors, continents and walks of life is critical. It therefore creates and maintains innovative physical and digital platforms where a global community of practice can connect, share, learn and act. This community comprises representatives from science, policy, civil society, funding partners, indigenous and community groups, women, corporate sectors, media and youth.
As part of these platforms, the GLF created Landscape News (news.globallandscapesforum.org) as a news outlet to cover the latest global news and stories across the GLF’s five themes: restoration, finance, rights, food and livelihoods, and measuring progress. It publishes in a variety of different news formats – features, profiles, opinion, news, interview – as well as podcasts and videos. The site received 85,000 visitors in the last year and is Google News accredited. It seeks to reach a global audience beyond the bounds of the climate change arena, informing a broader public on all aspects of environmental, social and economic sustainability.
Duties and responsibilities
- Creating Landscape News social media pages across different platforms
- Organizing social media calendars and writing social media content
- Combining market research on other successful news sites’ social media strategies with creative and imaginative new uses of the platforms to grow the Landscape News and GLF audience
- Staying current on climate change and environmental news worldwide and pitching unique stories to the Landsacpe News editor, with opportunities to write and gain bylines
- Assisting the Landscape News editor on various tasks, including sourcing photos, liaising with writers and external organizations, fact-checking and copy-editing
- Supporting the GLF team through writing content for the main GLF website and events pages (including corporate news pieces, event speaker bios, session summaries) as needs arise
- Helping on various other tasks, as they arise
Education, knowledge and experience
• At least three years of undergraduate degree completed (international development, natural science, communication, journalism or related fields), recent graduates preferred.
• Excellent English writing skills
• Effective time management capabilities
• Experience with social media, journalism, brand management and online engagement
• Experience with wordpress a plus
• Strong organizational and communication skills
• Experienced and/or comfortable with remote work
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Creative and passionate about changing the world
• Fearless attitude and open to learning
• Proven ability to work in fast-paced environment and take initiative
• Positive attitude at all times
Terms and Conditions
• This is an internship opportunity for 6 months.
• CIFOR’s employment conditions follow local labor laws and regulations. CIFOR will employ suitable candidates regardless of nationality, provided that he/she complies with the local requirements for working at the posting location. Being a citizen of an EU country is preferred.
• CIFOR may provide the Intern with a monthly stipend or living allowance in accordance with the Project Document or as agreed with the Sponsor. The stipend or living allowance provided to the Intern shall follow the rate used by the Human Resources Unit for Interns at CIFOR.
• The duty station will be in Bonn, Germany.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
Application processThe application deadline is 10 Feb-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.