The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Consultant for GLF Communications Coordinator
The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) is the world’s largest intersectoral platform designed to examine knowledge, share experiences and accelerate action by communities as they invest in and move towards more resilient, climate-friendly, diverse, productive, equitable and, thereby, sustainable landscapes. Founded by CIFOR, UN Environment and the World Bank, and with core funding provided by the German Government, the Global Landscapes Forum is scaling up to engage one billion people in realizing their local priorities, while at the same time contributing significantly towards the overall achievement of the sustainable development goals (SDGs) and climate agenda. Since 2013, over 25,000 stakeholders from more than 3000 organizations and 110 countries have engaged with the GLF both in person and online, with stakeholders from community and indigenous peoples organizations, finance, civil society, government, media and the youth. The GLF Community of Landscapes is founded on four principles: connecting, sharing, learning and acting. Our vision considers people first and recognizes that people acting together drive change.
Over the next 4 years, with the support of core funding from the German Government and with the support of core, co-founding partners, such as UN Environment and the World Bank, the GLF will expand the discussion to a larger audience than ever before, and place communities at the center of the conversation. This will challenge global influencers to react, expand and – of course – scale up the actions required to build sustainable landscapes.
The Global Landscapes Forum is a place where a farmer can inform action, pathways and policies; where international organizations can learn from the private sector and vice versa; and where CEOs, community leaders, communicators and technologists can share, learn, connect and act together.
From building the investment case for sustainable landscapes, to protecting peatlands, to supporting restoration in Africa, the Global Landscapes Forum has been at the cutting edge in hosting and facilitating all manner of discussions to accelerate positive action for people, for the environment, and for the achievement of global climate and SDGs.
Together we will create a global force to achieve the SDGs and climate agenda by creating a positive vision of what we can do if we all work together.
BE A PART OF A GLOBAL MOVEMENT. BE A PART OF THE GLF.
Objectives of the Assignment
As the Global Landscapes Forum evolves into a bigger platform and movement, the consultant will be responsible for implementing the Forum’s communication strategy and outreach campaigns both via traditional media channels and through online digital streams.
Alongside the GLF Digital Strategist and working with other members of the GLF team, the consultant will coordinate and oversee content management of the main website (www.globallandscapesforum.org) and affiliated platforms (YouTube, Flickr), work on targeted media outreach campaigns and contribute to producing editorial content (articles, videos, podcasts, etc.) for the GLF’s media platform Landscapes News.
To this end, the consultant will work closely with relevant staff of GLF’s Communication team, including the web team, video team and the social media team. His/her work time will be divided, as needed, between writing original journalistic content for Landscapes News (field travel may be expected for event coverage), and for producing communications and marketing outreach materials (media advisories, corporate news stories, writing letters to donors and potential GLF partners, content management).
The consultant will need to ensure that all content across GLF’s diverse platforms are up to date, and will play a role in regularly updating and monitoring copy across all its platforms as well as pitching innovative ideas on how to render it more accessible and inviting to the GLF audience. He/she will work closely with the web team to make sure that the news carousels are updated at least once a week, and every day during the lead-up to GLF events.
Duties and responsibilities
- CONTENT PRODUCTION: Write, copyedit, proofread, and revise all related communications as needed (for GLF website, Landscapes News, corporate news, media advisories, e-newsletters, etc.). Produce original content when necessary, including live event coverage of GLF conferences and partner events.
- WEBSITE MANAGEMENT: Maintain and update GLF’s website with fresh content using creative, multi-media elements and provide direction to web development team under the guidance of the GLF Lead Communications Coordinator. Ensure that text on the GLF website is regularly updated.
- MEDIA RELATIONS: Lead GLF’s relations with global print, broadcast and online media outlets; contribute to expanding GLF’s media contact lists; monitor media coverage of GLF and assist in the production of impact metrics/reports.
- GLF OUTREACH: Prepare and implement media launch strategies and other communication plans particularly leading up to GLF events and conferences. This includes helping GLF partners with their outreach, and assisting with the Communications Committees for GLF.
- ANALYSIS AND STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS: Analyze media trends in the coverage of environment and sustainability topics worldwide and identify new opportunities to raise GLF’s profile and messages, including potential partners.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g. journalism, communications, international relations). Master’s degree preferred, but not required.
• five (5) years of work experience in a communications role or journalism experience required; international development experience is preferred. Clear understanding of website analytics (Google Analytics, etc.)
• excellent oral and written communications skills.
• demonstrated ability to maintain attention to detail.
• proficiency with web-based content management systems, including WordPress.
• comfort with the Adobe Creative Suite (e.g. InDesign, Photoshop) and video editing software preferred, but not required.
• ability to work on multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
• excellent organizational, time management and planning skills.
• demonstrated experience coordinating and collaborating with a diverse team
• experience with bulk email/database management software a plus.
• good understanding of social media and website metrics.
• experience in online and media outreach.
• capacity to work both independently and as part of a multi-city, remote team.
• knowledge and passion for sustainability, environment and/or science communications.
• experience in working in international development or environmental policy is an asset.
• flawless English speaker, other languages (esp. French, Spanish, Indonesian, German) are an advantage;
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• excellent interpersonal communications and relationship-building skills, to effectively work with a variety of people and personalities, members of the media, team members, donors, partners.
• motivation to learn and work in an entrepreneurial start-up environment.
• desire and ability to think critically and solve problems effectively.
• ability to meet deadlines.
• flexibility to adapt to changing priorities.
• self-motivated, deadline oriented, resourceful and energetic.
• able to find creative solutions.
• able to strategize at both macro and micro levels.
• a team player.
• proven ability to work well under pressure.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a full-time consultancy position.
• CIFOR’s employment conditions follow local labor laws and regulations. CIFOR will employ suitable candidates regardless of nationality, provided that he/she complies with the local requirements for working at the posting location. Being a citizen of an EU country is preferred.
• Period of the consultancy is expected to be January – December 2020.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
• This a home-based position but preferably in Bonn, Germany.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
To learn more about GLF, please visit our website at:
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Jan-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.