The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
ILRI is involved in a number of research projects under the Feed the Future Innovation Lab on Livestock Systems coordinated by the University of Florida, Gainesville, USA. One of the projects is funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation on Strengthening Smallholder Livestock Systems for the Future with the overall goal of developing the knowledge, skills, tools and products necessary for future scaling efforts that will significantly reduce gaps in feed quantity and quality, and thereby increase livestock productivity in the project countries (Burkina Faso and Ethiopia). The second project that is involved under the Feed the Future Innovation Lab on Livestock Systems is on the assessment of risk of aflatoxin contamination in milk and feed in smallholder dairy production in peri-urban areas of Ouagadougou and in rural areas of Seno Province, Burkina Faso. This research project is funded by USAID with the aim of investigating the health risks associated with the consumption of dairy products in rural dairy farming communities and among peri-urban dwellers, with a focus on aflatoxin. The Research Assistant to be recruited will be engaged in the implementation of the activities of the two projects mentioned above.
CIFOR, acting on behalf of ILRI, is seeking to recruit a qualified Research Assistant to provide relevant services as summarized below.
Duties and responsibilities
- Contribute to research activities/fieldwork relating to on-farm testing, monitoring and evaluation of livestock-related technologies at the project sites.
- Assist in the evaluation of feed resources in agro-pastoral systems.
- Assist in data collection, data processing and data analysis.
- Coordinate field activities under both projects, including supervision of field assistants and enumerators.
- Conduct literature searches on and reviews of smallholder dairy production systems in peri-urban and rural areas of Burkina Faso.
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of research activities.
- Assist with the preparation and publication of research results/reports.
- Assist in organizing workshops, training or fieldwork as required.
- Contribute to maintaining appropriate communications with field assistants at the project sites.
- Undertake other research activities as required.
Education, knowledge and experience
• MSc degree or equivalent qualifications and experience in animal science, natural resource management, ecology or environmental sciences
• at least 2 years of relevant professional experience, preferably in Burkina Faso and in a multidisciplinary working environment
• excellent command of written and spoken English and French
• ability to communicate in the major local language in the action transect will be an asset.
• strong computer skills in relevant office applications and software packages (i.e. MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access)
• strong statistical knowledge and practices.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and to take initiative and exercise good judgment
• ability to work under basic field conditions
• competency in personal organization and priority setting with the ability to work effectively under time pressure and to manage multiple priorities
• good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment and to be an effective team player
• creative, flexible and able to respond to changing requirements.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a locally recruited staff position.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in francs CFA (FCFA), commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of 1 year, inclusive of a 3-month probation period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The work location for this position will be based in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
To apply, please visit our career site at http://www.cifor.org/career.
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at http://www.cifor.org.
To learn more about ILRI, please visit our website at http://www.ilri.org.
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Dec-2018
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.