The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Bilingual Administrative Assistant
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to enhance the roles livestock play in pathways out of poverty in developing countries. ILRI is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a global research partnership of 15 centers working with many partners for a food-secure future. ILRI has two main campuses in East Africa and other hubs in East, West and southern Africa and in South, Southeast and East Asia.
CGIAR is a global agricultural research partnership for a food-secure future. Its scientific research is carried out by 15 research centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations (see www.cgiar.org).
CIFOR, acting on behalf of ILRI, is seeking to recruit a qualified Bilingual Administrative Assistant to provide relevant services as summarized below.
Duties and responsibilities
The Administrative Assistant is expected to work closely with the Administrative and Finance Officer and ILRI scientists in Burkina Faso in ensuring smooth administration and operations of ILRI activities in Burkina Faso and in the West Africa region as a whole. The Administrative Assistant will report to the ILRI Burkina Faso Administrative and Finance Officer.
The successful candidate will perform the following duties:
- Provide general support to the Administrative and Finance Officer, and other ILRI Burkina Faso staff (both nationally and internationally recruited staff).
- Assist in handling Burkina entry visa arrangements for ILRI’s visitors.
- Manage the secretariat (receiving visitors, providing orientation for new staff, receiving and making telephone calls, organizing filing systems for the office, and providing secretarial support).
- Maintain personnel files for all ILRI Burkina Faso employees.
- Assist in making travel arrangements – travel authorization, air tickets, accommodation etc.
- Coordinate vehicle management and administration (filling out of logbooks by drivers, repairs, insurance, etc.).
- Manage office stationery.
- Ensure proper identification of all ILRI assets and update asset register regularly.
- Participate in the organization of workshops and conferences.
- Handle petty cash (receiving requests, making payments, keeping a register, submitting replenishment requests as necessary).
- Assist in local procurements.
- Assist in preparation of monthly financial reports to be sent to Headquarters.
- Make punctual translations (English – French, French – English).
- Assist in data entry.
Education, knowledge and experience
• a relevant diploma (Baccalaureate plus 2 years of university education) in administration, management or relevant fields
• at least 2 years of relevant professional experience, preferably in secretariat management, administration or human relations in Burkina Faso in a multidisciplinary working environment
• excellent command of written and spoken English and French
• strong computer skills in relevant office applications and software packages (i.e. MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel), and knowledge of relevant software for secretariat management.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and to take initiative and exercise good judgment
• ability to work under pressure
• competency in personal organization and priority setting with the ability to work effectively under time pressure and manage multiple priorities
• good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment and to be an effective team player
• creative, flexible and able to respond to changing work requirements.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in francs CFA (FCFA), commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of 1 year, inclusive of a 3-month probation period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The work location for this position will be based in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
To apply, please visit our career site at http://www.cifor.org/career.
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at http://www.cifor.org.
To learn more about ILRI, please visit our website at http://www.ilri.org.
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Dec-2018
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.