The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Consultant for Knowledge Management & Communications Specialist
The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) is the world’s largest intersectoral platform designed to examine knowledge, share experiences and accelerate action by communities as they invest in and move towards more resilient, climate-friendly, diverse, productive, equitable and, thereby, sustainable landscapes. Founded by CIFOR, UN Environment and the World Bank, and with core funding provided by the German Government, the Global Landscapes Forum is scaling up to engage one billion people in realizing their local priorities, while at the same time contributing significantly towards the overall achievement of the sustainable development goals (SDGs) and climate agenda. Since 2013, over 25,000 stakeholders from more than 3000 organizations and 110 countries have engaged with the GLF both in person and online, with stakeholders from community and indigenous peoples organizations, finance, civil society, government, media and the youth. The GLF Community of Landscapes is founded on four principles: connecting, sharing, learning and acting. Our vision considers people first and recognizes that people acting together drive change.
Over the next 4 years, with the support of core funding from the German Government and with the support of core, co-founding partners, such as UN Environment and the World Bank, the GLF will expand the discussion to a larger audience than ever before, and place communities at the center of the conversation. This will challenge global influencers to react, expand and – of course – scale up the actions required to build sustainable landscapes.
The Global Landscapes Forum is a place where a farmer can inform action, pathways and policies; where international organizations can learn from the private sector and vice versa; and where CEOs, community leaders, communicators and technologists can share, learn, connect and act together.
From building the investment case for sustainable landscapes, to protecting peatlands, to supporting restoration in Africa, the Global Landscapes Forum has been at the cutting edge in hosting and facilitating all manner of discussions to accelerate positive action for people, for the environment, and for the achievement of global climate and SDGs.
Together we will create a global force to achieve the SDGs and climate agenda by creating a positive vision of what we can do if we all work together.
BE A PART OF A GLOBAL MOVEMENT. BE A PART OF THE GLF.
Duties and responsibilities
The Knowledge Management & Communications Specialist (Senior Learning Officer) will work closely with the GLF Executive Producer, GLF Global Coordinator, GLF Communications Coordinator and the GLF Knowledge Coordinator to ensure that knowledge and learning processes are effectively communicated, and incorporated into the broader GLF outreach and communication plans. This will result in core deliverables from knowledge, learning and outreach components being optimized.
- • Shape and coordinate the implementation of new online GLF Community building tools (GLF website and/or social media).
- • Develop innovative approaches and projects for increasing outreach and facilitation of action (for example, webinars, infographics, competitions, quizzes, videos, etc.).
- • Support, expand and actively moderate current GLF CoPs while facilitating the creation of new communities.
- • Support creation of, and lead implementation of, GLF Knowledge Product workplan.
- • Identify emerging trends in scientific discourse, community knowledge and green tech for the facilitation of action and curation of content/knowledge and design methods to communicate these.
- • Produce and support development of fact sheets, briefing/policy papers and infographics.
- • Oversee outreach and facilitation of the incorporation of the landscapes approach and GLF objectives to youth meetings and national youth processes.
- • Mainstream youth initiatives and perspectives into learning activities and products.
- • Support development of knowledge committees.
- • Ensure transparency in knowledge committee selection process.
- • Coordinate and communicate training/learning programs.
- • Coordinate and communicate Landscapes Academy curricula in coordination with partners.
- • Manage communications activities relevant to the Knowledge Hub (for example, digital summits, webpages, workshops, podcasts, Q&As, etc.).
- • Support outreach strategy.
Education, knowledge and experience
• university degree in a related discipline (communications, development, international relations, environment, etc.)
• at least 3 years of experience in designing learning events and capacity-building programs
• demonstrated interest and experience in the strategic and innovative use of digital media for nonprofit or international organizations, preferably at a global level and including for global events
• demonstrated familiarity with social listening tools and the rapidly evolving terminology and jargon used on social media
• demonstrated ability to write and edit high-quality and accessible English-language science communications materials, especially journalistic-style blogs, in a range of styles for a global audience (samples of unedited writing will be requested)
• fluency in formal and idiomatic English; other major languages an asset.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
• strong client service approach
• resourceful, adaptable and self-directed, and able to find creative solutions
• passion for excellence.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a full-time consultancy position.
• CIFOR’s employment conditions follow local labor laws and regulations. CIFOR will employ suitable candidates regardless of nationality, provided that he/she complies with the local requirements for working at the posting location. Citizen of an EU country is preferred.
• Period of the consultancy is expected to be December 2018 – October 2019.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
• The duty station will be in Bonn, Germany.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Nov-2018
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.