The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Senior Scientist, Value Chains, Finance and Investments
The primary responsibilities of this Senior Scientist position are to contribute to the development and implementation of the Value Chains, Finance and Investments (VFI) Team’s research agenda. CIFOR’s strategy aims to support progress in i) achieving sustainable value chains and commodity supply in forest landscapes, ii) developing business models that deliver improved social and environmental outcomes, and iii) promoting responsible finance mechanisms that contribute to advancing sustainable land and resource uses
Main specific responsibilities involve:
• identifying strategic research opportunities, providing leadership and undertaking research as well as coordinating research projects
• leading policy engagement to ensure the timely delivery of relevant and high-quality scientific outcomes to support policy dialogues from government and private sector actors, and multistakeholder processes
• contributing to capacity development through supporting research partner organizations and other knowledge-sharing and policy engagement partners
• contributing to resources development and fund-raising strategies to support the implementation of the research, policy engagement and capacity development strategy of the VFI Team.
Duties and responsibilities
- Undertake scientific and implementation activities within the VFI Theme and facilitate interactions with those from other Themes at CIFOR as appropriate.
- Provide scientific guidance and ensure that the concepts and methods of the research carried out are appropriate and meet the highest scientific standards, reflecting up-to-date scientific methods and concepts.
- Define and implement research activities in important and emerging areas of research, especially those embraced under the VFI Theme.
- Identify and support progress along impact pathways to ensure the relevance of research to target policy arenas and practitioner communities.
- Write and supervise publications and other scientific communications related to research activities.
- Disseminate science through social and other media (e.g. infobriefs and blogs).
- Contribute to policy-science dialogue of relevant projects, especially those included in the VFI Theme.
- Contribute to the organization and scientific content of CIFOR-hosted events and other conferences including workshops, retreats and meetings.
- Lead and supervise the capacity development initiatives of projects under implementation, especially those relevant to the VFI Theme and contribute to other capacity development efforts.
- Supervise national staff, students and junior scientists in their learning and professional development by providing feedback, coaching, mentoring and resources, and by identifying learning goals and opportunities for professional development.
- Coordinate the implementation of projects while ensuring the proper management of available financial and human resources for the achievement of expected project outcomes.
- Maintain and further develop high-level relationships with key CIFOR partners and stakeholders; including national governments; multilateral, international and regional organizations; donor agencies; nongovernmental organizations; and research institutions.
- Provide support to the coordination of and collaboration with other CGIAR centers working with the CGIAR Research Programs of which CIFOR is a member.
- Define and implement strategies for policy engagement to contribute to the achievement of outcomes and impacts from key research and findings.
- In collaboration with the Communications, Outreach and Engagement Team (COE), other Team Leaders and Scientists, ensure that information about CIFOR and the outcomes of its research are effectively conveyed to partners and target audiences.
- Contribute to communication targeted at policy makers (including workshops, website and policy briefs) about relevant projects.
- Represent CIFOR in national, regional and/or global science-policy dialogue, as appropriate.
- Work with Team Leaders, the Resource Mobilization Team, and with scientists as appropriate, to identify and develop strategies to secure funding to enable research agendas.
- In conjunction with relevant scientists and other Team Leaders, contribute to the development of research and other proposals in support of CIFOR research and policy engagement.
- Develop strategic partnerships with the potential to contribute to successful fund raising in areas that contribute to achieve the CIFOR mandate and expected outcomes.
- Coordinate with other CIFOR scientists regarding the development of proposals, targeted engagement and other activities that require collaborative work across CIFOR’s Themes.
Education, knowledge and experience
• PhD in an appropriate discipline (e.g. geography, economy, finance, environmental sciences or social sciences with a focus on development, value chains, markets and finance analysis)
• at least 10 years of relevant experience in collaborative research
• experience in conducting research and managing projects in the Southeast Asia region
• strong publications record, especially in peer-reviewed publications
• track record in resource mobilization/fund raising and in proposal development/writing
• fluent in spoken and written English; knowledge of another international language is an advantage
• experience in working with multiple partners and in developing countries.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• possesses management and organizational skills, experience in project management
• has commitment, initiative and ability to work with limited supervision
• has excellent interpersonal and communication skills, experienced in working with multicultural and multidisciplinary research teams
• has excellent facilitation and team-building capacity
• values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning
• able to treat others in the workplace with respect, dignity and compassion.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a Global position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in USD, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment is for 2 years, inclusive of a 9-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Sep-2018
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.