The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Consultant Content Producer, Writer and Editor
The Consultant Content Producer, Writer and Editor will form a critical part of the COE team by creating, editing, overseeing and curating a range of content, blogs, and special web text and multimedia features, including news articles, feature articles, outreach/promotional materials, reports and website copy.
The Content Producer, Writer and Editor will also take a lead role on content multimedia packages (video, animation, photo essays, sound essays, etc.), websites and promotion for events, among other tasks. He/she will also lend support in designing content and multimedia pieces for CIFOR’s various scientist-led projects.
The Consultant will form part of a talented and experienced COE team, web team, production and graphic design team, and serve as a liaison on content development between the Outreach and Engagement team, the Editorial and Multimedia Services team, and its clients (CIFOR researchers and colleagues within COE).
Duties and responsibilities
Job Summary & Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Team Leader, Outreach and Engagement, the Consultant will support COE in producing a range of high-quality communications materials for events, projects and research outputs, in accordance with priorities set by the Team Leader.
Details of the Consultant’s responsibilities:
- Lead curation of content for CIFOR websites, including CIFOR.org and project websites.
- Oversee the development of multimedia resource packages (‘content packages’), including articles, videos, sound and photo essays, media advisories and corporate news.
- Write and edit a range of communications materials, including news articles, feature articles, blogs, success stories, reports, speeches, scripts, flyers, brochures, fact sheets and promotional materials. Contribute to content production for CIFOR’s Annual Report and other corporate products.
- Coordinate dissemination of research outputs to maximize real-world impact, including via outreach with media partners.
- Occasionally produce blogs and stories for Forests News, and when the Forests News Editor is on leave, provide a deputy support role for Forests News, writing and curating content for the site.
- Support the development of CIFOR-U, CIFOR’s new educators’ portal, by consulting and working on content production and promotion.
- Lead the creation of websites, landing pages and other materials for events where CIFOR is involved, liaising with the Global Events Manager and the Outreach and Engagement Team Leader.
- Liaise with the COE management, researchers and project coordinators in developing web resources and websites, give clear briefs to the web team on changes required, write and edit copy, and guide projects to the end.
- Liaise with the Social Media Analyst to ensure web materials are promoted through social media, providing support where necessary.
- Carry out other tasks related to writing and editing, social media and events, as required by COE management.
Education, knowledge and experience
• university degree in a related discipline (communications, development, international relations, environment, etc.)
• demonstrated interest and experience in the use of websites for science or other research/development communications
• demonstrated ability to write and edit high-quality and accessible English-language science communications materials, especially for the web, in a range of styles as required (samples of unedited writing will be requested)
• fluency in formal and idiomatic English; other major languages an asset
• international experience with Non-Government Organization or comparable organization an advantage
• familiarity with WordPress preferred
• demonstrated experience with social media preferred.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
• strong client service approach
• resourceful, adaptable and self-directed, and able to find creative solutions
• passion for excellence.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a full-time consultancy position.
• Period of the consultancy is expected to be June 2018 – April 2019.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Jun-2018
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.