Job status: In-progress
Job category: Consultancy
Duty station: Saharanpur, India
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Consultant - Research Fellow (2 Positions)
One-year research fellow position is available as a part of a collaborative project implemented by CIFOR-ICRAF and the United States Forest Service (USFS) to carry out ecological monitoring of mangrove ecosystems within India. The project is aimed at establishing long-term monitoring sites in selected mangrove areas of east and west coast of India in partnerships with local organizations and relevant forest depts.
Duties and responsibilities
Candidates who have a strong background in ecology and/or marine science, good written and oral communication skills, and a demonstrated potential to conduct intensive field-based research are desired. Individuals who can juggle multiple responsibilities and are detail oriented will be preferred. Experience in science communication is a plus.
The research fellow/Consultant will contribute to:
- Establishment of permanent monitoring plots in selected mangrove areas of east and west coast for the quantification of total ecosystem carbon stocks (field data collection, data input, analyses and visualization) – for all the selected sites
- Installation of rSETs (Rod Surface Elevation Tables) and water level loggers, and later repeated measurement of installed rSETs (Data recording in the field, data input, analyses and visualization) – for all the selected sites
- Timely delivery of the project reports [technical, and activity reports at monthly and Quarterly schedule
- Preparation of two journal articles based on literature and field-based data
Education, knowledge and experience
- M.Sc. with three-year experience or PhD (Marine Science/Environmental Science/Marine Biology/Earth Sciences)
- Knowledge of mangrove ecosystems of the Indian coast.
- In depth knowledge /recognition of safety, legal, cultural and regulatory requirements relative to field research.
- Good knowledge of research discipline, principles, concepts, analysis and / or operations being conducted at field / remote sites.
- Strong interdisciplinary research capabilities including the ability to source, analyze, synthesize, and interpret a broad range of scientific data and information
- Experience with technical and expense reports.
Terms and conditions
- This is a consultancy position for a fixed period.
- Salary for this consultant/research fellow will be at par or higher than general norms of post doc fellowships in the premier research institutes within the country.
- All project-related costs (travel + lodging will be covered by the project).
- Selected candidates will be based in north India (Saharanpur) with frequent travel to field sites in different coastal Indian states.
- Those interested in this research fellow position should send their updated CV and a brief statement (<250 words) outlining personal interest and suitability for this position. Please highlight what makes you believe you are a fit/suitable candidate for this position. Review of CVs and statements will begin right away, and the recruitment should be completed by mid Oct 2023.
- The application deadline is 30 September 2023.
- We will acknowledge all applications but will only contact short-listed candidates.
To apply, please visit our career site at: https://www.cifor.org/careers and https://www.worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf
To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our website at: https://www.cifor-icraf.org
CIFOR-ICRAF promotes Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged.
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal-opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Sep-2023
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Senior Manager- Programs and Research (Global Position)
Senior Manager - Gender and Programs (Local Position)
Executive Assistant to Director General (Local Position)
Landscape facilitator (Local Position)
Driver – Cameroon (Local Position)
Project Coordinator CASEVE GTI (Local Position)
Monitoring and Evaluation Communication and Outreach Officer (Local Position)
Administrative and Logistics Assistant (Local Position)
Data Manager Digital Platform (Local Position)
Accountant (Local Position)
Office Attendant (Local Position)