Job status: Inactive
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Field Attendant – Seed Systems (INTERNAL ADVERT)
OverviewThis role offers support to the maize seed systems team in conducting seed production research for CIMMYT’s eastern Africa maize pipelines.
Duties and responsibilities
- Support the maize seed systems team in
conducting seed production research for CIMMYT’s eastern Africa maize
- Assist with production of pre-basic
and basic seed at Kiboko for breeders and partners.
- Assist with production of hybrid seed
for use on-farm trials.
- Assist in preparation, planting,
management, and harvesting of maize seed nurseries and trials for seed systems
- Assist with data collection of seed
systems trials and nurseries.
- Supervise casual laborers engaged for
implementation of seed systems work at Kiboko.
- Perform any other tasks and
assignments related to the projects as assigned by the supervisor.
and take action to mitigate potential risks within your work area.
reasonable care of own occupational health and safety and that of others as
obliged by ICRAF’s Occupational Health & Safety Policy; and cooperate with
ICRAF in complying with requirements under any statutory health and safety
provisions of relevant Country laws.
- Diploma in Agriculture with 4 years’
experience or BSc in Agriculture (in Agronomy, Crop Science, Plant Breeding, or
relevant specialization) with at least 2 years work experience
- Working experience in agronomy or
breeding and ability to plant trials using different experimental designs.
- Basic skills in using FieldBook and
demonstrated computing and data processing skills.
- Experience in conducting field
research trials for a crop research program, supervision skills, capacity to
work effectively as a team player, and an ability to work well in intercultural
- Proficiency in spoken and written
- Data management skills and knowledge
about the key data required in a maize breeding program.
Education, knowledge and experience
- •Diploma in Agriculture with 4 years’ experience or BSc in Agriculture (in Agronomy, Crop Science, Plant Breeding, or relevant specialization) with at least 2 years work experience. •Working experience in agronomy or breeding and ability to plant trials using different experimental designs.
Terms and conditions
- This is a Contract of Service (COS) position and on competitive remuneration in local currency, commensurate with skills and experience.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 May-2023
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Senior Manager- Programs and Research (Global Position)
Senior Manager - Gender and Programs (Local Position)
Executive Assistant to Director General (Local Position)
Landscape facilitator (Local Position)
Driver – Cameroon (Local Position)
Project Coordinator CASEVE GTI (Local Position)
Monitoring and Evaluation Communication and Outreach Officer (Local Position)
Administrative and Logistics Assistant (Local Position)
Data Manager Digital Platform (Local Position)
Accountant (Local Position)
Office Attendant (Local Position)
Consultant - Research Fellow (2 Positions) (Consultancy)