Job status: In-progress
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Vegetable Business Officer
OverviewTo establish vegetable aggregation centers in several counties in liaison with the implementing partners in the Veggies 4 Planet & People (V4P&P) project, government partners, and private sector, and facilitate a sustainable and replicable aggregation center business model.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop feasibility studies and business
plans for the establishment and operation of pilot vegetable aggregation
centers in 3 different counties in Kenya, based on the concept note that has
been developed by V4P&P.
- Quantify project revenue streams based on
sale of produce, logistics, business development services, storage, value
addition, member fees, and other fees. Develop a cost structure for the
- Liaise with the anticipated clients of the
aggregation centers, such as vegetable producers, agro-input providers, service
providers, transporters, traders, and buyers, derived from existing vegetable
business networks (VBNs) in the project.
- In liaison with the project communication
officer, media, other stakeholders, and field days, promote the values of the
aggregation centers and its products among consumers and the wider community.
- Promote accountability, transparency, and
- Monitor and document the operation of
aggregation centers for the purpose of learning, sharing lessons with
stakeholders, and reporting.
- Manage other activities: identification and
acquisition of land, design of aggregation center, building of infrastructure,
consultative meetings with stakeholders, set up a management committee for each
center, capacity building of management committees.
- Identify and mitigate potential risks within
your work area.
- Take reasonable care of own occupational
health and safety and that of others as obliged by CIFOR-ICRAF’s Occupational
Health and Safety Policy and cooperate with CIFOR-ICRAF in complying with
requirements under any statutory health and safety provisions of relevant
- Liaise with V4P&P project to coordinate
- Perform any other duties assigned by the
Kenya Country Director.
Education, knowledge and experience
- •Bachelor’s or master’s degree in agricultural economics, agribusiness, or related field. •Minimum three years’ experience in agricultural value chains, facilitating upstream and downstream linkages. •Proven experience in building capacity of agricultural enterprises. •Proven experience in liaising with public-, and private partners, and linking smallholder farmers to markets, particularly for perishable products.
Personal attributes and competencies
- •Excellent computer skills in MS?office applications (Word, Excel, Power point). •Team player with excellent communication skills in spoken and written English and Kiswahili. •Good interpersonal skills and ability to interact with partners and colleagues in a multi-cultural setting.
Terms and conditions
- •This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position. ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency, commensurate with skills and experience. •The appointment will be for a period of 2 years, inclusive of a 6-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources. •The duty station will be in Nairobi, Kenya.
Application processThe application deadline is 22 Mar-2023
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Theme Leader - Biodiversity and Tree Genetic Resources (Global Position)
Theme Leader – Sustainable Value Chains and Investments (Global Position)
Climate Change Specialist cum Project Manager (Local Position)
Hanoi, Viet Nam
Consultant – GLFx Coordinator (Consultancy)
Home based, preferably in CEST time zone
GLFx Digital & Community Support Intern (Internship)
Home-based, preferably in CEST time zone or similar
Program Assistants (Local Position)
Any of the TOFI target States (Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Haryana, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh), India
Research Group Assistant (Local Position)
Behaviour Change for Resilient Livelihood and Food Security Research Assistant (Local Position)
PHI Coordination Assistant (Local Position)
Program Assistant – Seed Systems and Technology Transfer (Local Position)