Job status: In-progress
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: Hanoi, Viet Nam
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Climate Change Specialist cum Project Manager
ICRAF Viet Nam country office is seeking for the dynamic motivated Climate Change Specialist cum Project Manager to lead the new project "Learning Center for Zero Emission and Climate Resilience in Northern Viet Nam (LEARN-VN)" funded by Bread for the World (BftW), and to support climate research and capacity development under the BftW funded project "Agroecology for resilient landscapes for the poor in Northern uplands of Viet Nam (A4P).
The position also requires to establish and maintain close collaboration with Vietnamese government partners, most importantly departments and research institutes under the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) and Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE), private sector and stakeholders of other climate projects.
Duties and responsibilities
supervision of the Country Coordinator, the Climate Change Specialist cum
Project Manager is expected to perform the following tasks and
1. Project manager: Learning Center
for Zero Emission and Climate Resilience in Northern Viet Nam (LEARN-VN) (2023-
- Provide overall project
management, ensuring effective implementation of project activities,
preparation of annual work and financial plans, communication, monitoring and
evaluation (M&E), and reporting;
- Provide scientific/techincal support
to the prooject team and effectively coordinate all partners in the delivery of
project activities, ensuring that partners adhere to quality standards in the
course of project implementation.
- Ensure efficiency in the
utilization of project resources and effective delivery of outputs;
- Provide scientific/techincal
leadership in climate research and capacity development activities undertaken
by the project;
- Manage national staff under
supervision and provide guidance and coaching for staff development
- Prepare annual reports and other
high-level communication materials required by BftW and ICRAF;
- Liaise with BftW, Thai Nguyen
University of Agriculture and Forestry (TUAF) on matters pertaining to the
2. Climate researcher: Agroecology
for resilient landscapes for the poor in Northern uplands of Viet Nam (A4P),
funded by BftW (2021-2025)
- Lead Activity 3 on climate risk
assessment, gender-specific capacity development on climate impacts with key
farmers and local partners;
- Contribute to Activity 4 on
assessment for climate change mitigation co-benefits in agroforestry systems
and estimation of net carbon removal in the project area
- Contribute to other activities of
the project where relevant.
3. Partnership, outreach, and program
- Author peer-reviewed publication
and ensure quality research outputs including scientific publications, policy
briefs, project-related documents and extension materials;
- Pro-actively engage national
partners, e.g. MARD, MONRE, private sector companies and research institutes
- Build and maintain partnerships
with partners and donors
- Promote CIFOR-ICRAF work through
conference presentations, blogs, organizing and attending workshops
- Lead or contribute to development
of concept notes and proposals
- Serve as a member of management
team at CIFOR-ICRAF Viet Nam office and contribute to the country program
development and management where relevant
- Perform other tasks as deemed
Education, knowledge and experience
- PhD in climate change, integrated agroforestry system, crop science, soil science, agriculture, forestry, Sustainable NRM, and/or related field
- Proven publication records.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience after Ph.D., preferably related to agroforestry system, climate change, crop science, soil science, agriculture, sustainable NRM and/or rural development
- Experience in working with not-for-profit organizations and government institutions.
- Experience in project management.
- Fluent in English both oral and written.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Pro-active and independent way of working
- Strongly outcome-oriented
- Excellent writing skills in English and Vietnamese, including scientific writing
- Experience in proposal development
- Well organized and demonstrated ability in time management
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, verbally and in writing, in both English and Vietnamese.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well in multicultural teams
- Demonstrated ability to generate creative, practical approaches to overcoming challenging situations
- Demonstrated ability to manage a range of staff and consultants
- Good computer literacy (especially for modeling software)
- Strong drive to learn new topics and skills and to see research and ideas having positive impact in practice
- Independent, rigorous, excellent social skills, and passionate and motivated by the social and environmental impact potential of their work
- Comfortable with public speaking and workshop facilitation
- Willing to spend time in the field
- Multi-tasking person and able to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Open to receiving feedbacks from others
Terms and conditions
- This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) position. CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency, commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for 3 (three) years, inclusive of a three-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be in Hanoi, Vietnam.
To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careers and https://www.worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf
To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org
CIFOR-ICRAF promotes Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged.
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Mar-2023
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Theme Leader - Biodiversity and Tree Genetic Resources (Global Position)
Theme Leader – Sustainable Value Chains and Investments (Global Position)
Consultant – GLFx Coordinator (Consultancy)
Home based, preferably in CEST time zone
GLFx Digital & Community Support Intern (Internship)
Home-based, preferably in CEST time zone or similar
Program Assistants (Local Position)
Any of the TOFI target States (Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Haryana, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh), India
Research Group Assistant (Local Position)
Vegetable Business Officer (Local Position)
Behaviour Change for Resilient Livelihood and Food Security Research Assistant (Local Position)
PHI Coordination Assistant (Local Position)
Program Assistant – Seed Systems and Technology Transfer (Local Position)