Job status: In-progress
Job category: Global Position
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Theme Leader - Biodiversity and Tree Genetic Resources
OverviewCIFOR ICRAF has an exciting opportunity for the position of theme leader in Nairobi or by arrangement at another CIFOR-ICRAF location. The theme leaders key responsibilities are to lead research on biodiversity and tree genetic resources at CIFOR-ICRAF, including nurturing strategic partnerships; organize effective management of the laboratory and gene bank facilities within the theme; develop and manage a project portfolio to ensure sustainable staffing and development of the research area and its policy and development impact; and, ensure organized data collection, storage and high-quality scientific outputs commensurate with the size of the theme.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Lead research on biodiversity and tree genetic
resources at CIFOR-ICRAF including nurturing strategic partnerships.
- Formulating and developing world leading research on biodiversity
and tree genetic resources, that has policy and development impact, together
with other themes and geographic units at CIFOR-ICRAF and external partners and
obtaining resources for CIFOR-ICRAF and partners to implement it.
- Setting medium term and annual goals and targets for the theme
that contribute to meeting CIFOR-ICRAF’s institutional goals and targets and
monitoring their achievement with appropriate KPIs.
developing, and sustaining partnerships with key research, donors, policy
development organizations and engagement with the UN Convention on Biological
Diversity (UNCBD), as part of transformative partnership platforms where
appropriate, to ensure delivery of the goals of the theme.
2. Organize effective management of the laboratory and gene bank facilities within the theme.
- Putting in place and monitoring effective management arrangements for
CIFOR-ICRAF’s in situ and ex situ gene banks, and seed and
genomic laboratory facilities.
- Ensuring sustainable financing of these facilities through charging
projects for services rendered, obtaining programmatic funding and / or
commercial use of the facilities.
3. Manage a project
portfolio to ensure sustainable staffing and development of the research area
and its development impact.
- Leading the development of project proposals with principal
investigators (PIs) across the theme and other CIFOR-ICRAF units and partners
as appropriate, that generates a project portfolio that provides sustainable
funding for critical staff and facilities required for the theme to deliver its
goals and targets.
- Managing, in liaison with PIs, the sequencing, content and
implementation of projects within the portfolio, including participation in
projects as appropriate, to ensure sustainable funding of staff, development of
the research area and documentation of its contribution to development impact.
- Ensuring career development opportunities and the working
arrangements for staff contributing to the theme, including mentoring of
scientists and PhD students as appropriate.
4. Ensure organized data collection, storage, and high-quality
scientific outputs commensurate with the size of the theme (number of staff and
- Leading publication of high impact scientific articles in ISI
journals, including participating in writing of articles and facilitating
publication of high-quality articles by scientists within the theme.
- Supervising the probity and accessibility of data collection by
scientists working on research areas covered by the theme at CIFOR-ICRAF and
the scientific quality of outputs.
- Ensuring that the number and quality of scientific outputs
produced by the theme is commensurate with the staffing and funding of the
- Ensuring that scientific evidence is conveyed to next users,
including policy-makers through appropriate engagement and products in
appropriate formats (engagement in policy fora including the UNCBD), policy
briefs, user manuals, leaflets, training courses).
- Ensuring, in liaison with CIFOR-ICRAF’s communication, outreach
and engagement unit, that scientific advances in the research area of the theme
are widely promoted through conferences and other events, popular articles,
blogs and social media.
5. Other duties.
- Take reasonable care of your own occupational health and safety and
that of others as obliged by CIFOR-ICRAF’s Occupational Health and Safety
Policy and cooperate with CIFOR-ICRAF in complying with requirements under any
statutory health and safety provisions of relevant country laws.
- PhD in a relevant field with 15 years research
- Proven track record of high impact
research both in terms of scientific articles and their development and/or
Education, knowledge and experience
- PhD in a relevant field with 15 years research experience.
- Proven track record of high impact research both in terms of scientific articles and their development and/or policy impact.
Terms and conditions
- This is a Globally Recruited Staff (GRS) position. CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in international currency commensurate with skills and experience.
Application processThe application deadline is 19 Mar-2023
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Theme Leader – Sustainable Value Chains and Investments (Global Position)
Climate Change Specialist cum Project Manager (Local Position)
Hanoi, Viet Nam
Consultant – GLFx Coordinator (Consultancy)
Home based, preferably in CEST time zone
GLFx Digital & Community Support Intern (Internship)
Home-based, preferably in CEST time zone or similar
Program Assistants (Local Position)
Any of the TOFI target States (Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Haryana, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh), India
Research Group Assistant (Local Position)
Vegetable Business Officer (Local Position)
Behaviour Change for Resilient Livelihood and Food Security Research Assistant (Local Position)
PHI Coordination Assistant (Local Position)
Program Assistant – Seed Systems and Technology Transfer (Local Position)