Job status: Inactive
Job category: Calls for Research Partners
Duty station: Kigali, Rwanda
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Field Project Manager – TREPA Project Rwanda
OverviewTREPA project will build on existing and upcoming projects implemented by World Agroforestry (ICRAF) in eastern province of Rwanda by reversing land degradation, promoting climate smart agriculture, fruit trees for climate adaptation, support seed and seedlings delivery systems and breeding seed orchards. The Project Manager will ensure sound field implementation of the "Transforming Eastern Province through Adaptation" (TREPA) project. The manager will work in liaison with the government authorities, executing project partners and field staff and will report to ICRAF’s project investigator(s).
Duties and responsibilities
Summary of responsibilities
- Coordination of annual
planning, implementation, monitoring, and reporting of ICRAF field activities
- Supervision of
field technicians, project accountant and driver
- Coordination with
ICRAF Output leaders, PI, administration and finance teams
- Managing hub
- Procurement of
inputs and supplies
- Hiring and
supervision of consultants
- Monitoring of
field activities and collection of data
- Preparation of technical
and financial reports
3. Engaging in field activities by Implementing field work in areas of competence, collecting field data for implementation and monitoring, organize field visits, organize meetings, and monitor surveys.
- Master's Degree in agroforestry,
forestry, natural resource management, horticulture, or related field –
PhD degree desirable.
- At least 5
years hands-on field experience in leading and implementing large
agroforestry or forestry projects.
Education, knowledge and experience
- Master's Degree in agroforestry, forestry, natural resource management, horticulture, or related field – PhD degree desirable.
- At least 5 years hands-on field experience in leading and implementing large agroforestry or forestry projects.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Personal attributes and competencies:
- Proven record of building and leading high-performing teams.
- Excellent skills and rapport for stakeholder relationships and community mobilization.
- Self-driven and demonstrated capacity to implement workplans under minimum supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively, work under pressure and within tight schedules to meet ambitious project targets as per seasonal and institutional requirements.
- Flexibility and willingness to work for longer periods within rural setups of Bugesera, Rwamagana, Kirehe, Kayonza, Gatsibo, Ngoma and Nyagatare districts. Proficiency in written and spoken English and local languages (Kinyarwanda).
Terms and conditions
- This is a Locally Recruited position. The initial appointment will be for two (2) years, with a six-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Dec-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Theme Leader - Biodiversity and Tree Genetic Resources (Global Position)
Theme Leader – Sustainable Value Chains and Investments (Global Position)
Finance Officer (Local Position)
Assistant Research Associate - Global Wheat Program (Local Position)