Job status: Inactive
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: Kigali, Rwanda
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Seed Procurement Technician – TREPA Project Rwanda
OverviewThe Seed Procurement Technician (SPT) will be responsible for coordination of seed procurement activities in the project and assist in implementation of the tree seed and seedling supply systems work under the TREPA Project to provide diverse climate adapted tree species and varieties. The role holder will report directly to the TREPA Field Project Manager and to the relevant Output leader(s).
Duties and responsibilities
Summary of responsibilities
· Based on tree species-
specific priorities of integrated seed procurement/tree improvement/gene
conservation, plan, prepare and implement the activities.
· Prepare and implement annual
work plans and follow up on the budgets.
· In collaboration with the
Provincial Centre Heads, the FM the TBT and the TREPA coordinator, compile
annual seed collection plans and support/coordination of the collections.
· In collaboration with the Tree
Breeding Technician, plan, supervise and assist in national seed source
exploration for priority species.
· Supporting seed processing
activities/routines at the Tree Seed Centre (TSC), supporting proper routines
at the seed laboratories at TSC, supporting applied seed research on developing
appropriate species wise techniques for monitoring of fruit formation, seed
processing, storage and testing of seed of priority species at the TSC.
· Develop guidelines for seed
crop assessment, seed collection, processing, storage, pre-treatment and sowing
of priority species in Rwanda.
· Carry out networking with
other professionals, organizations, institutions, projects et in East Rwanda
and the region
· Record all relevant data,
process, and document in Rwandan publications and in international journals and
· B. Sc. Or M.Sc. in forestry with specialization in
seed procurement and/ seed technology, and with a broad understanding of seed
· A minimum of 2 years post-graduate working
experience including experience in research in tree seed procurement/seed
· Post- graduate studies in either of the two subjects
and/or experience from similar positions elsewhere will be considered an
Education, knowledge and experience
- B. Sc. Or M.Sc. in forestry with specialization in seed procurement and/ seed technology, and with a broad understanding of seed delivery systems.
- A minimum of 2 years post-graduate working experience including experience in research in tree seed procurement/seed technology.
- Post- graduate studies in either of the two subjects and/or experience from similar positions elsewhere will be considered an additional advantage.
Terms and conditions
- This is a Locally Recruited position. The initial appointment will be for two (2) years, with a six-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Dec-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Theme Leader - Biodiversity and Tree Genetic Resources (Global Position)
Theme Leader – Sustainable Value Chains and Investments (Global Position)
Finance Officer (Local Position)
Assistant Research Associate - Global Wheat Program (Local Position)